Install problems with FreeNAS 11

Status
Not open for further replies.

steve001

Dabbler
Hi all, sorry still a bit green with FreeNAS

I am having some problems installing FreeNAS 11 to my machine

0.jpg

searching on here turned up a few answers from failing smart tests, drive failing, sata cables
machine is as :-

1 x ASUS P10S-M uATX Motherboard - Server LGA 1151 Intel C232

1 x BX80662I36100 Intel Core I3-6100 CPU, 1151, 3.7 GHz, Dual Core, 47W, 14nm, 3MB Cache, HD GFX, 8 GT/s

2 x CT10096750 Crucial 8GB DDR4-2400 ECC UDIMM 84.08 168.16 33.63

1 x western digital 1tb Caviar Green WD10EADS - just for testing

1 x startech 4 port sata pcie adaptor card - compact flash adaptors connected to these

2 x Sata CF adaptor cards (believe to be startech - no id on them)

2 x sandisk ultra 16gb compact flash

I have tried replacing the compact flash cards the old ones where Kingston items
new sata cables
still waiting for two new sata - cf adaptors

have tried booting in both modes bios & uefi modes

Bit lost at what to try next

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
1 x startech 4 port sata pcie adaptor card - compact flash adaptors connected to these
This looks like a questionable setup. Try removing this and install to a USB drive and see if that works.

pschatz100

Guru
I would remove all the PCIe boards and quit using the compact flash. Get a good quality USB thumb drive or a small SSD and go from there.

steve001

Dabbler
This looks like a questionable setup. Try removing this and install to a USB drive and see if that works.

I had this same set up and it worked ok on my old system (rioworks hdma) i was wanting to make use of the mirror boot device option

I will remove it and try again

Thanks for your replies

Steve

joeschmuck

Old Man
Agreed.

It would be nice to know what drive ada1 is. If this is your CF card then that is your issue. If this is your hard drive then I'm not sure why you would try to install FreeNAS to your hard drive. You can remove your hard drive during the installation phase of the project and once you get FreeNAS installed and running, then shutdown, reconnect yout hard drive, power up and create a pool.

I don't think it will be hard to diagnose.

EDIT: BTW, CF cards should be fine as a boot device, but SD cards are not.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
I had this same set up and it worked ok on my old system (rioworks hdma) i was wanting to make use of the mirror boot device option

A single cheap SSD would be a better option.

steve001

Dabbler
cheers chaps

can you recomend a ssd or usb stick ?

@joeschmuck

ada1 & ada2 are the compact flash cards, i did remove the hard disk whilst trying but as the message was the same i re installed it

I ran FreeNAS-9.2.1.8 on kingston compact flash cards ok via an pcix - ata 133 card on my rioworks hdama board

so thought i could do the same again but i changed to sata - i will change as per recomendations

Thanks for your help and advice

Steve

Jailer

Not strong, but bad

joeschmuck

Old Man
I like both of those choices. However before purchasing a used SSD I would ask the seller for the SMART data for the specific drive so you can see how much useful life remains on the drive. Even if it's 10% left, that would be fine in my opinion for a FreeNAS boot device to last for a decade or more.

Status
Not open for further replies.