Initial FreeNAS setup

Guinea

Explorer
I am a bit confused on this terminology. I am following the User Guide and trying to understand what to build and how to configure it. Here is my goal and maybe someone could point me to a more specific instructional blog or something that follows what I am trying to accomplish:

I have a 24 bay NAS. I have 8 drives populated with 4TB WD Red drives. I have FreeNAS 11 running now on a 120GB SSD. The main purpose is for me to use ZFS (Raid2?) to make my setup expandable. I want to use all 8 drives for a single vdev and when it fills up, I want to be able to add 2 more vdevs with the same drive types and sizes in 8 drive additions (8 drives per vdev and 24 bays, so I can do 2 more expansions). I am confused on how to set this up. I made a single volume (sco_data_vault). I can see it in storage, but I don't see how to create the vdev. I also see a jails location.

The main goal of the NAS is to run a Plex Media Server. So I would need to do a jail and/or install the Plex plugin. I am not sure how that stuff works. Do I put the jail on the storage volume? Do I have it on a separate USB stick somewhere else? I assumed I couldn't put it on the boot drive. And then how do I connect to the volume as a mapped network drive/directory structure from my Windows PC. I don't see the syntax to access it and it is a bit confusing.

These may be simple questions, but I am just trying to read through the documentation and understand and it is a bit confusing the first time.

danb35

Hall of Famer
I can see it in storage, but I don't see how to create the vdev.
The vdev is automatically created. When you're ready to add the next 8 disks, go to the Volume Manager, select your existing pool under "volume to extend", and Bob's your uncle.

danb35

Hall of Famer

danb35

Hall of Famer
You don't normally want to share your entire pool, but rather individual datasets within it. But to access your share:

Start -> Run -> \\servername\sharename

Guinea

Explorer
You don't normally want to share your entire pool, but rather individual datasets within it. But to access your share:

Start -> Run -> \\servername\sharename[/

That is the problem. I set the hostname/domain to datavault.sco. I tried connecting to \\datavault.sco\sco_data_vault and nothing happens. Am I using the wrong syntax? I am also having issues with sending e-mails. I am wondering if networking is not set up properly.

Guinea

Explorer
Try \\serverIP\sharename then.

When you say server IP, would that be the same IP I am accessing the FreeNAS web GUI through? I tried that and tried different versions of the share name. I named the share in the Windows SMB - SCO Data Vault.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer