Inconsistent performance with ESXi and Freenas 9

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Hey, I just helped build a FreeNAS server that is running almost 30 VMs under moderate load! Woohoo!

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I'll get them for you next week. I know it currently is 256GB of RAM, can do about 400MB/sec with its ZIL and L2ARC. He plans to do a writeup on it and post it. It was nice since I got a little cash for consulting him on his purchases and stuff. No problems at all. Been a flawless install and setup. :)

AiRLAC

Cadet
I'll get them for you next week. I know it currently is 256GB of RAM, can do about 400MB/sec with its ZIL and L2ARC. He plans to do a writeup on it and post it. It was nice since I got a little cash for consulting him on his purchases and stuff. No problems at all. Been a flawless install and setup. :)

Is it running ESXi? ;)

cyberjock

Inactive Account
The FreeNAS server is not, but he plans to run several ESXi servers from it... Consultation services FTW!

scurrier

Patron
Can you explain "run several ESXi servers from it?" Are you talking about iSCSI targets? Accessing them from a different box? What guest OS, out of curiosity?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
You have 1 FreeNAS server and several ESXi servers that have datastores on the FreeNAS server. I can't remember if he uses multiple iSCSI targets or NFS(I let him handle that part since that doesn't require my assistance). He's going to make his post in the next week or two so I'll let him speak for it. There's more than 20 VMs running so "what guest OS" is "a whole bunch of stuff".

Basically, he realized that he didn't want to spend weeks or months and have a 1/2 correct system. He wanted to buy the right hardware, setup the software properly, and have it "just work". So he PMed me and I helped him setup his server(made a little cash too!). It even immediately started reporting his failing disk that he didn't know about(haha). But literally, it took about 4 hours to pick out the hardware, few hours to assemble it, then less than 2 hours of my help via Teamviewer to have his system up and running!

scurrier

Patron
Cool. Looking forward to his post.

Status
Not open for further replies.