Import Disk: Mount failed (exit code 12) - Partition tool

ibds

Dabbler
Hello, I am currently testing my new FreeNAS server.

To copy the data (2.5 TByte) from the old to the new server I connected a SATA backup disk (=NTFS logical partition) and wanted to copy the data to the NAS via 'Import Disk'.

However, I get an error message when I click at 'Import Disk-> save' and I suspect that I have to change the partition to 'Primary':
Code:
Mount failed (exit code 12): NTFS signature is missing. Failed to mount '/dev/ada0p1': Invalid argument The device '/dev/ada0p1' doesn't seem to have a valid NTFS

At first sight I didn't find any board resources in FreeNAS that could do this. Is this really the case? Do I really have to remove the disk or boot the server with another OS (e.g. Knoppix) to change the partition/boot record? Does anyone have any good advice?

ibds

Dabbler
Maybe I was a little too hasty:

gpart' showed me 'ms-basic-data' for the HDD. So I removed the hard disk and checked it again with Windows and apparently something is wrong with the hard disk.

But first I have to take a closer look and report again later.

ibds

Dabbler
The hard disk was previously Bitlocker encrypted. It seems that the decryption was not completed because it continued as soon as the disk was reinstalled in the Windows PC. My fault!

After complete decryption at least the mounting with 'Import Disk' works now. But then I had the following problems:
  1. During the data transfer the values of the progress bar permanently jumped back and forth between any values (0-100%).
  2. When switching to another GUI dialog, the progress bar disappeared and could no longer be activated. After that I couldn't find a way to get the status of 'Disk Image' anymore. Only the read access to the hard disk was still an indicator.
  3. Finally: after approx. 750GB (= 5h) the read accesses stopped without further message! Not very satisfying!
Do you have similar experiences with 'Import Disk'?

D

dlavigne

The hard disk was previously Bitlocker encrypted. It seems that the decryption was not completed because it continued as soon as the disk was reinstalled in the Windows PC. My fault!

After complete decryption at least the mounting with 'Import Disk' works now. But then I had the following problems:
  1. During the data transfer the values of the progress bar permanently jumped back and forth between any values (0-100%).
  2. When switching to another GUI dialog, the progress bar disappeared and could no longer be activated. After that I couldn't find a way to get the status of 'Disk Image' any more. Only the read access to the hard disk was still an indicator.
  3. Finally: after approx. 750GB (= 5h) the read accesses stopped without further message! Not very satisfying!
Do you have similar experiences with 'Import Disk'?

Those should all be fixed for the upcoming 11.3.

ibds

Dabbler
Thanks for the reply!
Those should all be fixed for the upcoming 11.3.
Until then, the following warning would be useful in the documentation + GUI: "Attention beta status"!

The same applies to volume encryption, by the way. During my tests I had to learn that the temporary failure of an encrypted RAIDZ1 disk (e.g. 'cable unplugged' or 'set offline') cannot be fixed via the GUI. I could only find a solution via command line after an intensive search in the forum.

FreeNAS is a cool software, but I would like to see functions that have not yet been 100% developed/tested marked accordingly!