I read the forums first!

Status
Not open for further replies.

geopfarth

Explorer
So I'm building my first FreeNAS system. The primary purpose of this system is to be a Plex Server. I prowled the forums and tried to absorb the collective wisdom of the users. I will have to pick your brains some more about the actual system build but these are the system components.

Server purchased from the Ebay "Mr. Rackables" store:

Case/Chassis: Supermicro SYS-6027R-3RF4+
MOBO: Supermicro X9DR3-LN4F+
CPU: 2 x Intel Xeon E5-2650 V1 Octo core 2.0 Ghz
RAM: 96GB DDR3 Registered ECC
RAID/HBA: 1 x LSI 9211-8i HBA JBOD
HD: 8 x 4TB WD RED 5400RPM <--Got all of these from Amazon
boot drives : 2 x SANDISK 16GB Cruzer USB Flash

I also have a 60GB and a 120 GB SSD drive I could install for either Docker container storage, a boot device or as a read or write cache, but I am seeing mixed opinions as to whether making either of those a boot device is any kind of improvement.

Any advice before I start installing Corral and setting things up?

geopfarth

Explorer
based on that page I believe I will take your advice and roll with 9.10. While doing more research, because I like to do the measure twice cut once thing, I noticed that RAID-Z1 is not recommended anymore. I am worried that my disk drive sizes are just not sufficient for expected data growth as I migrate from and existing Plex Server to this new system. Since this is not data that will cause people to lose jobs, just data that it would be nice not ot have to re-download/rip, would you still recommend against the Z1 option?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
It's your data and your risk assessment to make. If you're okay with the risk of ripping that stuff all over again, it's fine. You'll definitely want to keep a close look on the disks, though, make sure SMART tests are running as expected and that you get the warning emails, etc.

Dice

Wizard
Don't forget to make a proper burn-in of the drives :)

geopfarth

Explorer
Don't forget to make a proper burn-in of the drives :)
The memory test will have run for about 24 hours tonight, I figure that is long enough to find any errors there. I plan on kicking off the drive test as soon as the last of my drives arrives this week. It is nice to be able to take my time and not worry about deadlines. The benefits of setting up a NAS purely for leisure use.

Status
Not open for further replies.