I have stopped buying Kingston as of today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Esteemed Community:

My whole life (ok, well, for about ten years) I have bought Kingston, almost exclusively. Kingston thumb drives, Kingston memory, Kingston SSD's. And so on.

Today is 21 January 2015, and that ends today. I don't know what's going on over there at Kingston in recent times, and I have been wondering if maybe I've been unlucky. But I really don't think so. Let me explain to you what has been happening for the past couple of months, because as you guys know, I build a lot of boxes for associates, myself, and so on.

I have purchased seven Kingston Micro DT drives (16 GB mostly) (what we used to recommend for FreeNAS). ALL SEVEN, you heard me right folks, ***ALL SEVEN*** began throwing serious errors within the first 4 weeks of usage.
The last holdout died this morning. (Thank god for the self-healing filing system we have on boot now). An admittedly small sample size, but a 100% failure rate. These were sourced from Amazon (itself---not third party sellers), Best Buy, and Newegg, in three different purchases, so the sourcing was diverse, and from retailers that would not have counterfeits in their supply chain.

In that same period, I have purchased six Sandisk Cruzer Fit thumb drives (16 GB mostly). These are in the same use, in the same type of systems, right down to the hardware. Not a single one of these, **NOT A SINGLE ONE** has ever thrown a single error
, corrupted a single bit, or otherwise been a problem. An admittedly small sample size, but a 0% failure rate. These too were sourced from a combination of reliable vendors, in a combination of buys.

On top of this, some of the schenangians that have been happening on SSD's, the recent wtf's with the 8GB ECC DIMMs, and so on? Yeah, I'm officially done giving them the benefit of the doubt. This Kingston fanboy now spends the extra $1, and buys Sandisk. I know the flash memory business can have razor-edge margins, and there's a lot of incentive to squeeze down the unit cost. But it doesn't matter what it costs if I can't sleep at night with it in my servers.

That's just my opinion, and my observations. You can evaluate for yourself if you think I'm worth listening to. I know, and expect, and encourage that Kingston fascists will reply viciously to this thread. I'm all for it. Let's have the discussion.

That is all. My boot devices for non-DOMmed FreeNAS boxes, from this point forward, until something changes, will be whatever Sandisk's small form factor USB drives are.

This is the device I recommend.

Any device with the word "Kingston" on it, I do not recommend, until further notice.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Allan just read this post, and had the following to say in IRC: (emphasis mine)

<AllanJude> DrKK`: I killed 6 USB sticks by having a ZFS boot pool on them as well. although it was much more active than a FreeNAS one would have been. fried 'adata' and 'silicon power' and another brand
<AllanJude> for USB flash, I only buy sandisk now
<DrKK`> ^^^
<AllanJude> they 'adata' advertised 100mb/s, so i figured theyd be good
<AllanJude> but nope

<DrKK`> Further evidence that great minds think alike
<AllanJude> one now says it is 'read only'
<AllanJude> in windows

<DrKK`> I'm adding this conversation to the post
<AllanJude> you can't even delete the zfs partition
<DrKK`> with your permission, Allan
<AllanJude> DrKK`: sure

cyberjock

Inactive Account
How long have I been telling you to avoid Kingston? :P

For those that want more info on the Kingston SSD snafu, here's just one article: http://www.anandtech.com/show/7763/an-update-to-kingston-ssdnow-v300-a-switch-to-slower-micron-nand

I gave up on Kingston almost a year ago when I read their shenanigans with their SSDs. First they're changing RAM without telling anyone, now changing SSDs? How can you trust the quality of a product (and the performance) if you can't even validate wtf you are buying.

No, I gave up on Kingston long ago.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I've been avoiding Kingston flash drives since the SSD V300 story broke. That was the last straw for me, on top of the ECC RAM story.
It hasn't been easy, since most retailers seem to dedicate easily half their flash drive section to Kingston.

It was kind of a shock - I have three computers that have been running fine with Kingston RAM for many years (well, one of them is my pfSense box, which is currently offline - let's see if Kingston can be blamed for it).

In retrospect, a 4GB DDR3 SODIMM I bought for my Sony laptop a few years ago started preventing it from booting after about a year - yes, it was Kingston.

So yeah, SanDisk and Toshiba for me.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Eric, noticed your sig block says 9.2.1.9. You haven't upgraded yet?

Gonzalo

Patron
No doubt about what you are saying, but I have this and this and NOW I'm worry :confused: (even if my system is running from a year now without an issue).

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
No doubt about what you are saying, but I have this and this and NOW I'm worry :confused: (even if my system is running from a year now without an issue).
I'm running that same RAM in my personal servers. I haven't had any problems with any server RAM I've ever bought from them. Full disclosure.

All the Kingston problems I have PERSONALLY had happen to equipment I have put together have been flash memory products. Actual RAM DIMMs, I can say, thankfully, have not been a problem for me, yet.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Eric, noticed your sig block says 9.2.1.9. You haven't upgraded yet?

Not yet, haven't had the time. It's on the to-do list for February.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
One more for the Shady list...

jgreco

Resident Grinch
I've had probably thousands of Kingston DIMM's since the '90s with a very low failure rate. I'm pretty sure the recent X10/Avoton issue was just one of those things where a new incompatibility blindsided them. It does sometimes happen.

Flash, on the other hand, has always been a troublesome PITA. Not limited to Kingston.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I've had probably thousands of Kingston DIMM's since the '90s with a very low failure rate. I'm pretty sure the recent X10/Avoton issue was just one of those things where a new incompatibility blindsided them. It does sometimes happen.

Right. But we're not talking about these kinds of problems. We're talking about Kingston selling a given item, throwing a part number on it with very specific hardware, and then later changing that hardware out for something that is often slower, less reliable, etc while keeping the same part number.

For the Kingston DIMM problem Kingston sold RAM sticks with chips manufactured by one company, then switched to a totally different company that had different specs and kept the part number.

For the Kingston SSD problem Kingston sold SSDs with flash chips made by one company (which ran synchronous), then after everyone reviewed it and posted reviews Kingston switched flash chips to a different company (which ran asyncronous and made the SSD 60%+ slower and less reliable) but kept the same exact part number.

This behavior then begs the question, if Kingston is doing this bait-and-switch with two of their product lines, what else are they doing with their product lines that you and I might not appreciate? To me, selling a product and suddenly changing its internals without any way for the buyer to know what they are buying is a major no-no and a total failure on their part to maintain product quality and value.

I've bought Kingston for more than a decade, without question as to what I was buying. But now I can't guarantee that if I buy 10 RAM sticks from Kingston under a given part number that they will even be identical and compatible. So should I still spend money on Kingston?

They've lost face with me, and they've no doubt lost face with all the people that bought Kingston RAM under part numbers that used to work but now don't. We had a dozen+ users that bought exactly what was recommended and it worked great for users for months and suddenly it didn't work for anyone. That's failure for Kingston and they deserve to lose some customers of that kind of poor quality control.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
I've bought Kingston for more than a decade, without question as to what I was buying. But now I can't guarantee that if I buy 10 RAM sticks from Kingston under a given part number that they will even be identical and compatible. So should I still spend money on Kingston?

That's not exactly new; back in the 440BX days we had some 256MB modules from Kingston which used a lower density part, and then a few years later when we RMA'd one, we got a part back with the same exact model number that had a higher density part - which the 440BX promptly saw as a 128MB module. Kingston was intransigent about the issue, saying that the part was "as described" in their spec and that the part wasn't designed for that application (but it had been a few years before). That's gotta be at least 12 years ago I'm guessing.

Pretty sure I've still got a 440BX around here somewhere. Probably the RAM too, if I cared to look. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.