I am a secret agent who works for 7 different governments. I need your help.

joeschmuck

Old Man
So, @Arwen already recommended what looks to be a well fitting product. Price is good. Just add a Low Power AMD AM5 CPU W/graphics (with AMD cooler like Ryzen 5 8500-G), one 16GB stick of ECC DDR5 RAM (or a 32GB stick, or multiple), one 64GB M.2 NVMe drive (for the boot drive), and two 16TB HDD, hopefully 5200/5400 RPM if you can find something slow (for heat considerations).

Link to DeskMeet physical layout: https://download.asrock.com/Manual/QIG/DeskMeet X600 Series_multiQIG.pdf

I didn't see in the user manual that the ASRock Deskmeet X600 supported PCIe bifurcation because if it supports 2x2x2x2, then you could do like me and install a four M.2 adapter card, that plus one M.2 slot extra on the motherboard would let you have five 4TB drives. If you go that route, I suggest PCIe 3.0 as 4.0 and up generate a lot of heat. But the NVMe drives should meet NVMe spec 1.4. I bought six 4TB NVMe drives for $200 each (nope not from AliExpress :tongue:). And these all had heatsinks on them (they were designed for PS5 use). NVMe is less power, less heat, quiet operation. But they do cost a little more. But five 4TB drives in a RAIDZ1, 14TB of capacity. Or there are add-on cards that hold up to10 NVMe drives, although I'd probably call it quits at six 4TB drives.

The DeskMeet is small. I have a DeskMini as my main computer these days. My beast of a machine has been retired and I'm thinking about giving it to my grandson, maybe all my old computer parts, sure would clean up some storage space.

Apollo

Wizard
I'm having second-thoughts about my "drilled-in cabinet handle". Watch from the 9:55 mark. :oops:

What you said holds even more merit now.

Coming up with a seamless "grab-and-go" NAS solution for us secret agents is harder than I thought.

Thanks to the party-pooper @joeschmuck, I might have to reconsider some things. In the meantime, I updated my proof-of-concept to better reflect what might happen with a "drilled-in cabinet handle" for the Jonsbo N1 NAS box. (I like the idea of not having to incorporate an extra "bag" or "container", which is why the integrated "handle" is much more appealing.)

View attachment 77212
To remain true to the spy cliché, you should go the route of the Violin case, they usually come with a handle.

awasb

Patron

Quality-wise and expandability and upgradability, it looks good. But still pricier than the N1, and obviously on the bigger end. (Might as well get a mid-tower ATX case at that point.)

Jonsbo N1:
6.69 x 13.94 x 8.54 (796 cubic inches)

Sliger Cerberus:
12.57 x 6.78 x 14.09 (1,200 cubic inches)

I think the Jonsbo N1 + support bracket / reinforcement + metal handle makes the best starting point, and then the components can be chosen and purchased after that. (Or scrap the "handle" and just go with an adjustable harness.)

Imagine the ease and convenience of grabbing a lunchbox and heading out the door. You don't want to "put anything together" or be burdened with something that might requiring lifting with both hands. Nor do you want multiple "pieces" or a separate bag.

Last edited:

Davvo

MVP
You might just make an external structure for the handle instead of drilling. Make it sandwich the case and you are done.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
My main grievance with such cases is, as @Etorix stated earlier, they are geared towards gamers and "LAN parties". Hence, only designed to house a single 3.5" drive, which rules out a 2-drive mirror vdev for affordable 8+ TiB pools. They do a great job for their form-factor and convenience, but neglect "NAS" users (and secret agents), who prioritize 3.5" drive bays.

That's why the Jonsbo N1 stands out among the rest: room for five 3.5" HDDs, and it's a small, low-profile chassis. (In fact, the Jonsbo "N" series are indeed designed for NASes.)

You might just make an external structure for the handle instead of drilling. Make it sandwich the case and you are done.
This is actually a smart idea. As long as it's "breathable", there should be no issue with airflow or heat.

* (But it won't look as "cool" though.)

joeschmuck

Old Man
That's why the Jonsbo N1 stands out among the rest: room for five 3.5" HDDs
Okay Secret Agent, you are trying to slip in a requirement change here. Before it was a pair of drives mirrored. I think the DeskMeet is much more portable and lightweight. But if you did desire the ability to add more drives, th N1 is a nice looking case.

Okay Secret Agent, you are trying to slip in a requirement change here.
If was obviously implied, since I'm not strapped with cash.

You're in for some real embarrassment, "Soft Taco Bear". I'm writing up a scathing rebuttal to your post in here, which I plan to publish on Saturday, April 6. You're going to look so pathetic when everyone reads it!

Only some unforeseen event can stop me! As if you would even be so lucky? :rolleyes:

joeschmuck

Old Man