How to set up Freenas as a central update box?

Status
Not open for further replies.

~GW~

Dabbler
Hi guys

I am currently using FreeNAS 7.2 but will update to 8.03 later today. Not sure if the later version already does this but I wonder if anyone knows how to make my freenas box into a central update box? What I mean is something like Update Accelerator (http://update-accelerator.advproxy.net/download.html) but for FreeNAS.

We are on a limited bandwidth and often software updates can chew threw our monthly bandwidth (no we cannot buy more bandwidth), so it would be great if we could have freenas fetch the updates and then any of our PC's linked to the freenas server get their updates via that storage box.

I hope someone can help and guide me threw the process please.

Thanks

GW

Brand

At the current time FreeNAS 8 is not designed for what you are wanting and even when extensions are supported with version 8.2 you would have to wait for someone to hopefully release an extension for what you are wanting. You would be better served with setting up a WSUS server or just using the Update Accelerator that you linked to.

~GW~

Dabbler
Thanks for the reply. I assume you mean setting up a second server box. Prefer not to do that as one box running is really enough for a home environment and FreeNas has served us well.

If anyone else has a way I can do the above with FreeNas then please let me know

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.