How to recover deleted Dataset

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justinh

Cadet
Hi, to cut a long story short, while attempting to create an additional backup of my data I deleted a dataset from my freenas system, basically I thought I had already copied the data. Of course the dataset contained all our family photos, not the iTunes music I could easily recover but the data I can't recover.

I spent the last day searching for answers and I get the feeling that the only possible option is to contact a data recovery service.

Before I do are there any other suggestions ?

Thanks,

Justin

Backups?

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
Ah yes sorry should have mentioned no snapshots :(

And no backup :(
Then most likely you will need a recovery service. There is something called transaction rollback in ZFS but I have no idea if it can do what you want. In any event, the first rule of maximizing the chances of recovery in any scenario is to shut down the system to prevent further modifications that could permanently destroy the data.

EDIT: from a brief search, it seems pretty clear that transaction rollback isn't going to help you.

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
I mean, I don't want to pile on here, since the OP is obviously distraught, but really, how can anyone not have backups of precious family photos?? Amazon glacier sir--$1 per 100GB per month. Fastglacier for windows. When you put new family photos on, send them to the glacier. Boom, done. Not even nuclear war will destroy your family photos now.

rogerh

Guru
I mean, I don't want to pile on here, since the OP is obviously distraught, but really, how can anyone not have backups of precious family photos?? Amazon glacier sir--$1 per 100GB per month. Fastglacier for windows. When you put new family photos on, send them to the glacier. Boom, done. Not even nuclear war will destroy your family photos now.
An unexpected and unpredicted business decision by Amazon could do so instantly.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
An unexpected and unpredicted business decision by Amazon could do so instantly.
I don't think so. If Amazon pulled the plug on Glacier, without ample warning, and ample other arrangements being made to migrate the Glacier data elsewhere, they would suffer a catastrophic loss of trust from the community of folks that would make decisions on services like this. Their monetary incentive to provide the best possible service one can provide, in this case, would seem to be overwhelming. Any "oops, we decided to pull the plug on Glacier, all your shit is gone" announcement from them would be self-immolating for their entire AWS infrastructure.

Status
Not open for further replies.