how to move pool to new esxi?

John Doe

Guru
Hi folks,

planning to virtualize freenas. Currently I have 11.1-U5 running and the pool is attached to an HBA.
So can I just install esxi, install FN in a VM, passthrough the HBA, load the actual FN config file into the new FN VM installation and expect that it will just work as before?

melloa

Wizard
In most part no issues doing that, but looking at your system you probably have lots of things going on with 3 ssd and 2 Evo for Jails/VMs.
Regarding the poll, all would be fine, but I would get my stuff migrated - as in create VMs for all your FreeNAS jails and VMs - to another box running ESXi, create the FN VM, move the pool, etc.
I know that will be close to impossible and/or expensive as would require a 2nd server. Please be careful.

John Doe

Guru
yes, i withdraw the idea of taking over freenas vms/jails to the new esxi set up. It will be just the data pool.

I will also go with a new case, most probably something like a supermicro sc846, means a backplane. is this an issue for FN to maintain existing pool?

Will freenas find the HDDs if I swap them around on a different sata port?

dtom10

Explorer
Will freenas find the HDDs if I swap them around on a different sata port?

The pool members are not decided by their interconnect but by the disk header that contains ZFS metadata. You can add them in any order as long as all the other requirements are met. Something extreme like ZFS version if you add the disks to an older FN box that doesn't support it or HW errors.

John Doe

Guru
thanks dtom10
so moving from -each HDD wired to one SATA cable- to a case with a backplane won't cause any trouble if I am using the same version of FN correct?

dtom10

Explorer
What exactly do you mean by a backplane? The backplane that I know of only allows you "hotswap" capabilities and confidence you are pulling the right drive without disturbing the others. Connection wise it's the same as a regular desktop case.

Be mindful of detaching the pool before shutting off the source FN.

melloa

Wizard
so moving from -each HDD wired to one SATA cable- to a case with a backplane won't cause any trouble if I am using the same version of FN correct?

Just make sure the HBA used with your backplane is in IT mode. That's exactly what I've done to move my pool from a desktop with a 10 SATA ports to a server with backplane and HBA.

dtom10

Explorer

John Doe

Guru

Be mindful of detaching the pool before shutting off the source FN.

so I cannot just shut down the FN server, doing the wiring changes and switch it back on?

dtom10

Explorer
Detaching the pool is not a destructive operation. You are just letting FN know that it needs to sync and flush everything to the pool.

I'm not entirely sure if not detaching causes potential data loss but it's better to be safe than sorry.

John Doe

Guru
ah okay, so after detaching the pool, doing the wiring stuff, i just go with import volume via the button in the screenshot?

Attachments

• reherhereh.JPG
    reherhereh.JPG
    90.8 KB · Views: 256

melloa

Wizard
Are you referring to AHCI/Passthrough mode?

When you say pass through, you are probably talking about ESXi PCI pass through. Yes you need to pass your HBA to your FreeNAS VM, so FreeNAS will have access and be able to control the disks.

I was referring to ensure your HBA is in IT mode. Check the Resources tab or search the forum for it, as there are zillions conversations about it. The point is to don't create a raid with your HBA, but let FreeNAS ZFS control and manage your pool. In fact, you want to do that, so your pool will be intact when you move it.

dtom10

Explorer
Neah, I'm referring to the same thing as you. Have the HBA run as a regular s-ata controller instead of doing enterprise stuff.

melloa

Wizard
Neah, I'm referring to the same thing as you. Have the HBA run as a regular s-ata controller instead of doing enterprise stuff.

You got it.

dtom10

Explorer
ah okay, so after detaching the pool, doing the wiring stuff, i just go with import volume via the button in the screenshot?
I can't remember the old interface since I've been doing a lot of bug reports for the new one recently and I'm not currently running anything lower than 11.2-U1.