how to load a ethernet driver as a module at boot time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mario15

Cadet
Hello
I am trying to setup FreeNAS 8.0.4 on my Netbook Aspire D225. I managed to install the image on a USB stick and FreeNAS boots up. But I it does not come up with an IP address. The netbook is connected via ethernet cable to a DHCP router.
When I want to configure the network interface FreeNAS doesn't show me a interface. I assume FreeNAS doesn't have a driver for my network card.The network card is an Atheros AR8152 and I found in the hardware docu that I need the driver ALC(4) for that card. Is the missing driver my problem?

If so, how can I get FreeNAS to start with the right driver? I am new to FreeNAS and the Linux world and any help is appreciated.
To me it looks like the easiest would be to load the driver as a module at boot time. How do I do that?

Thanks

Mario15

Cadet
I made a mistake. The netbook wasn't connected to the router. Now I have got a physical connection and the router is configured as a DCHP server but FreeNAS doesn't start up. FreeNAS tries to make a connection and then freezes. At every startup it freezes at a different stage.

When I my other Laptop with the same FreeNAS image it works fine. Driver problem on the netbook?

J

James

Are you able to run ifconfig from the console before it freezes? That will indicate the FreeBSD name of the driver.

Mario15

Cadet
No, I can't run ifconfig. The pc freezes during the startup sequence after is made a connection with the router.

alc0: link state changed to UP
starting devd

and no further.

Status
Not open for further replies.