How to Confirm Transmission is Using Reverse SSH Tunnel in Jail

Status
Not open for further replies.

bhadreshl

Dabbler
My main goal here is to send transmission traffic through a "proxy" setup via reverse SSH, since OpenVPN is not an option.

I have enabled ssh key pair with my remote host

I have setup a tunnel running from /etc/rc.local every time jail starts. 192.168.1.111 is epair4b (jail IP)
Code:
ssh -f -N -D 192.168.1.111:8888 user@remotehost.com
. To confirm this tunnel works, I pointed a browser with that above IP:Port and it contains the remotehost's IP address. So the tunnel works.

Transmission Network settings are also configured to use port 8888. Transmission says this port is closed.

1) Now, is the above code even correct? Should I be using 127.0.0.1 / localhost instead of jail IP?
2) How do I confirm Transmission is using the tunnel?
3) If Jail IP / localhost is not the best way, what is? I have tried to use ssh -R, but remote host does not support this.
4) One idea is to create tunnel interface -w 0:1 to to the existing reverse-tunnel created, but I'm not sure how to setup TCP port forwarding in Jail. Maybe I could just run the reverse-tunnel as freeNAS-root and create another reverse tunnel interface in Jail, but that's getting too complicated. Please advise.

Thanks,

bhadreshl

Dabbler
1) Tried both localhost and bridged IP. Does not work.
2) netstat. Transmission does not bother to use ssh tunnel. simple programs do such as lynx/links.
3) need to setup firewalls
4) not possible

Solution: Do not use transmission; there is a reason proxy support was removed in the latest release.

Status
Not open for further replies.