How to configure NIC to NIC connection?

Status
Not open for further replies.

draetheus

Dabbler
I recently purchased a virtualization server, and had hopes of connecting the 2nd nic of my freenas box to the 2nd nic of the virtualization server (running ESXI 5.5) for a dedicated iSCSI path. I configured static IPs in the same subnet on both cards directly connected, however I wasn't getting connectivity either way (the freenas box couldn't ping the ESXI box over that IP or visa versa). I tried adding in static routes but that didn't seem to help. Both servers have integrated Intel gigabit nics (82573 chipset) so I assumed I wouldn't need a crossover cable due to automdix. Is that incorrect, or can someone point me in the right direction with regards to the correct setup on the freenas end?

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
As long as the IP subnet you use is not within the same subnet as your other nic, it will work. Don't set a gateway on that nic either.

rogerh

Guru
I agree it should work: but apparently it doesn't. Have both NICs got the same netmask? Have you tried a new cable? Are the little lights on?

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
I do this between my FreeNAS and FreeBSD webserver for NFS. One gotcha I had was, I needed to add each computer to the other computer's hosts file. This may be NFS specific though.

Status
Not open for further replies.