How to configure a jail to send logs to minirsyslogd running in a separate jail?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dainis Berzins

Dabbler
I have managed to configure a jail with the minirsyslogd package to collect logs from my FreeNAS server. (This thread and this manual page were great helps!) I would like to configure several other jails to be sending their logs to this same syslog server.

I tried amending the /etc/syslog.conf file to send to a specific host by adding the following line:

Code:
*.*           @192.168.1.54

where 192.168.1.54 is the ip address of the server running minirsyslogd, but I do not see any messages coming through.

I have tried pinging from each server. They can successfully ping eachother.

Should I be using syslog-ng instead?

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks!

D

dlavigne

Does it work if you input the jail's address into System -> General -> syslog server?

Dainis Berzins

Dabbler
Yes, that's what I did and that's why the FreeNAS server itself is sending log data. That's not the problem.

I have 4 other jails aside from my minirsyslogd jail. I want to gather log data from those jails. Questions is how to configure these jails to send their logs.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
You've done the obvious things, especially the ping test. I have no specific experience with minirsyslogd, but I would suggest that you see about ratcheting up the debug level and seeing if maybe it is doing something paranoid/stupid/jail-incompatible. For example, with standard BSD syslogd, it may start up in a mode that has it not listening on the syslogd IP socket. Usually these things become obvious when you're debugging. Also make sure your jails are ACTUALLY sending messages; UNIX logger(1) with the "-h host" flag from the jail is the way to happiness there, and tcpdump on the FreeNAS host itself to monitor for traffic.

Status
Not open for further replies.