How to backup freenas data storage ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

InGenetic

Contributor
hi all,

I already have one freenas box with 2 hdd set to mirror.

then i want to backup all data on that freenas every night to another place ( perhaps another freenas box )
which the best way to do that ?
i already attach the pic of my storage with this post .. please check it out .

path.jpg storage.jpg

i just think about using Rsync , is it possible to rsync folder "FILE_SERVER" to another freenas box ? so the subfolder inside folder FILE_SERVER will be copied to another freenas box ?
it's like try to rsync data set path ..

or there's a best way to do that ?
please give me an information about this ..

Note : i have 2 separate building here .. so i want to place my freenas backup at another building .

Thanks n regards,

Ernest

L

L

Freenas is designed to do this very well. ZFS replication works at the block level, rather than at the file level. With rsync, it typically looks at the timestamp of the files and send the whole file... with the volume based replication it just sends blocks.

Go to the storage tab and first go to periodic snapshots, setup a schedule for how often and when you want snapshots to occur, then you can replicate to another box. In the tools it also has a nice easy way to populate ssh keys so you can have secure transfer.

InGenetic

Contributor
Hi Linda,

Is there any tutorial how to do that,step by step?

Whats mean by snapshot ? How often ? I just want to backup every night to another freenas box on other building. So how to make that snapshot ?

L

L

Yes it is in the docs.

Lemme know if you can't see it... I will create a little video after lunch

InGenetic

Contributor
Yes it is in the docs.

Lemme know if you can't see it... I will create a little video after lunch
Hi Linda, i've seen it and i was try to make snapshot, then i have another question :) :
1. I have 2tb storage, 800gb used, (1 zfs vol with about 9 data set) when i make 1 snapshot to zfs vol, running on 23:00, is the snapshot that i made will be use 800gb space too?

2. If i make replication task to another freenas box, how about the permission file which replicated?

3. Is it possible to make snapshot on zvol ? Or has to on dataset ?

Sorry for my noobs questions :)

Edited : i made a wrong snapshot (i make a whole snapshot from 1 zvol), but it's been running last night , and i want to delete it then try make a new snapshot again but i can't delete it . ( error message like picture attached) .

del snapshot.jpg

and which one better methode for make a snapshot for my storage like picture on the first post ?
did i have to make a snapshot by choosing zvol (FILE_SERVER) ? or better i make snapshot for each data set under FILE_SERVER ?

i mean i want to backup my storage "once" daily at night. to another freenas box .
and how to delete existing snapshot ?

please help,

Thanks n regards

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.