How should I create an off site backup

Status
Not open for further replies.

pjnab

Cadet
Hello,
I am running two HDD in mirrored mode.
I have a third HDD that I would like to store in a safe at my dad's house.
I would like to make a copy of the mirror every 6 month or sow (attached to my FreeNAS).
Who should I create this off site backup in the best way?

I am using FreeNAS 9.2.1.3-Release 64-bit

gpsguy

I would hang the 3rd hard disk off your desktop computer (temporarily) and use a synchronization software to copy the data from FreeNAS over the wire to your desktop computer. If your desktop is running Windows and you format the drive as NTFS, you'd have the ability to read the data in another Windows computer.

Some software might include: rsync, robocopy, ...

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
You could swap out one of the drives in the mirror every month with the office one. Then take the drive you just took out and make it the backup. Zfs should sync all the data for you.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
You could swap out one of the drives in the mirror every month with the office one. Then take the drive you just took out and make it the backup. Zfs should sync all the data for you.
How delightfully unorthodox.

sfcredfox

Patron
How delightfully unorthodox.
Thanks for the laugh :)

I'm not saying you couldn't do that, but swapping drives seems like a risk to keep rebuilding/resilvering a disk all the time.

I have offsite backups going to a family members house who also works IT. We setup a VPN and I use a simple robocopy. You could find something to throttle the bandwidth so it doesn't blow up your connections.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Yeah.. I wouldn't go doing that with *my* data.

Status
Not open for further replies.