How do use your FreeNas system?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sremick

Patron
I use mine pretty much just as a Plex Media Server appliance. This project has been my first foray into FreeNAS. I can foresee sometime in the future making a much-beefier FreeNAS box and broadening the services it offers, but for now I want to keep this hardware focused.

/me wonders if there's a marketplace for selling old FreeNAS-targeted hardware

Linkman

Patron
/me wonders if there's a marketplace for selling old FreeNAS-targeted hardware

People here looking for second, cheaper FreeNAS boxes for secondary backup, or off-site backup of their primary?

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about

sremick

Patron
People here looking for second, cheaper FreeNAS boxes for secondary backup, or off-site backup of their primary?

Sure but my reading of the forum rules suggests that selling stuff isn't allowed. To be clear: I have nothing for sale at the moment. But I can see the day (maybe a year or so) when I decide to replace my FreeNAS box as a whole. I could either piecemeal the parts off on eBay, try and sell the box as a whole on eBay, but it seems that its greatest appeal would be to others specifically into using FreeNAS as it was designed with FreeNAS in mind.

This is getting off-topic for this thread, however...

adrianwi

Guru
I advertised an old HP N34L Microserver I'd used for FreeNAS on eBay as a FreeNAS ready solution with everything configured to plug and play.

Don't think I got any more for it than I would have done advertising as a small server, although that might have been my advert. To be fair, it did have 3x3TB drives that had 3-4 years running which might have put some folk off :D

adrianwi

Guru

Bhoot

Patron
Mine is mainly for plex. Ripped my entire collection to the disks and now I watch everything on all the devices connected to the LAN and also don't need to transfer data or carry HDD if I go on trips away from home. Sickrage is a very good plugin to keep your entire collection in check and tells me if I missed ripping some file/season/series. Makes for the best HTPC I can think of. :)

Dice

Wizard
Mine is used as a plain and simple CIFS share server for Windows machines to fetch files, and run services stored on the freenas box. Dropbox in particular.
I did some experiements with windows automatic backups but quickly realized they were a lot more pain than gain once I really wanted to reinstall a system.
I reverted to not backing up the system files of the windows clients, but only very few select directories where files tend to end up on 'daily use'.
My next attempt include setting up syncthing to solve the same problem, but then again probably not running it native on FreeNAS but instead on a utility server if getting it to work properly becomes to much of a PIA.

Status
Not open for further replies.