How do I get permissions right for mounted storage for Plex?

Status
Not open for further replies.

electricd7

Explorer
Hello,

I have installed the Plex plugin into FreeNAS 9.3. I have added a storage mount to my local /mnt/pool1/video/movies (770 root:wheel) to /mnt/pool1/jail/plexmediaserver_1/usr/pbi/plexmediaserver-amd64/plexdata/Movies. I also created a local user "plex" and added that user to my local group "wheel" which should have full permissions to the /mnt/pool1/video/movies directory. When I add the mount inside Plex it scans and finds nothing. If change the permissions on /mnt/pool1/video/movies to 777 and rescan it finds everything. I guess I am missing something with the creation of the local "plex" user (GUID 972 inside jail). Can you help?

Morbo

Cadet
Hi,

When you say you added a "local" plex user, I'm assuming you mean you created a plex user in the main freenas image? I'm not sure that will work since it's outside the context of the jail.

I think all you need to do is modify the plex user inside the plex jail to be included in the wheel group. Since the wheel group inside the jail and in the master image share the GID of 0, this will allow the "jailed" plex user to access the storage. You will note that the root user is already explicitly defined there in the plex jail. Importantly, you will need to restart the plugin since the running processes won't pick up the new group membership.

As long as your plex user in your jail is in a group in the jail that aligns with a GID in the master freenas image that can read the underlying storage you should be fine. Failing that you could just change the permissions on your movies directory to 0775, to allow world read (though I understand you may have reasons for not wanting that).

electricd7

Explorer
Ok, so I ran the console from the Jail and then did a "pw usermod plex -G wheel" from the command line and that seemed to have worked. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.