How can I copy a dataset to another?

NASAMATEUR

Cadet
First and foremost I want to say that I am very new to this environment, and any answers to this are going to have to be explained like I'm five. I don't even know how to do commands in TrueNAS.

Here's my TrueNAS config:
-4TB Drive for data
-5 TB less reliable drive for backup

I want to backup all the data from the data drive to the backup drive, but I don't know how. I've tried replication tasks, but they only do snapshots, which I believe are not true backups.

I want to do this on the server side as my internet connection is excruciatingly slow for these types of tasks and as a user on another thread mentioned, it would go through my system's non ECC RAM.

How can I do this from the TrueNAS UI/Console? I'm sure it's easy, it's just that I'm a complete noob.

Sawtaytoes

Patron
You can use zfs send / recv commands. Have you figured this out since your posting?

asap2go

Patron
I believe there is an option for complete filesystem replication in the GUI. If you go to replication and click advanced.
First and foremost I want to say that I am very new to this environment, and any answers to this are going to have to be explained like I'm five. I don't even know how to do commands in TrueNAS.

Here's my TrueNAS config:
-4TB Drive for data
-5 TB less reliable drive for backup

I want to backup all the data from the data drive to the backup drive, but I don't know how. I've tried replication tasks, but they only do snapshots, which I believe are not true backups.

I want to do this on the server side as my internet connection is excruciatingly slow for these types of tasks and as a user on another thread mentioned, it would go through my system's non ECC RAM.

How can I do this from the TrueNAS UI/Console? I'm sure it's easy, it's just that I'm a complete noob.

Sawtaytoes

Patron
That's how I do it. I go into the backup system and create a task there. It will do the send/recv commands for you, and you can even set it to run once.