Homeassistant VM backup I/O

daschmidt

Explorer
I have a homeassistant on a VM with Truenas Scale running.
Homeassistant make every day at 2am a backup. Every day at the same time I also get this error:
  • Device /dev/disk/by-partuuid/6ada7c65-30d8-42e8-bd8a-09df6049c9eb is causing slow I/O on pool tank.
  • Device /dev/disk/by-partuuid/1aae3f5f-f1af-4715-bb18-6842dc2ba183 is causing slow I/O on pool tank

this are two 1TB SSD in mirror.

mirror.png

is something misconfigured here or where do I have to look for the error?

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
I don't know how you're "making" your backup... is it a snapshot? followed by a copy? to where? using what protocol/service?

The attached charts show that you're well under the expected maximum for throughput on those disks (although there's a lot of guesswork in that statement as you gave no hardware details at all).

I suspect you're somehow overloaded on IOPS (which is a little concerning as SSDs usually have a vast amount of IOPS capability compared to the requirement that a backup medium would have).

If you can explain a little better what's happening, maybe we can see where the problem is coming from.

daschmidt

Explorer
I don't know how you're "making" your backup... is it a snapshot? followed by a copy? to where? using what protocol/service?
it's a build in function in homeassistant. The developer said, the folders where zip. The backupsice is about 3,5GB.

Hardware is a I3 9100 with 32GB ECC Ram.

The VM have 2 virtual CPU's
1 core and
1 thread

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
The VM have 2 virtual CPU's
1 core and
1 thread
OK, so that's one thing to try...

1 CPU, 2 cores, 1 thread (or 1 CPU, 1 core, 2 threads).

Multi-CPU could be part of the cause in slowing things down.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
a homeassistant on a VM with Truenas Scale running
Can you be a little more detailed on what exactly this is...?

Is it a VM which runs SCALE with another VM inside it running HA or SCALE on bare-metal and HA as a VM on it?

How are you passing the disks in? that format looks strange now that I look more closely:
/dev/disk/by-partuuid/6ada7c65-30d8-42e8-bd8a-09df6049c9eb

daschmidt

Explorer
Can you be a little more detailed on what exactly this is...?
I have a server there is truenas scale installed as operating system.
Homeassistant is virtualized on this server.
How are you passing the disks in? that format looks strange now that I look more closely:
/dev/disk/by-partuuid/6ada7c65-30d8-42e8-bd8a-09df6049c9eb
It's a zvol on tank/vm/homeassistant

In the settings it's a VirtIO

sretalla