BUILD Home Stretch...

Status
Not open for further replies.

RemyZ

Contributor
I appreciate all of you guys help so far. Hit a few roadblocks but nothing serious.
My system powers on and all is well so far. I am in the testing phase and haven't installed Freenas as of yet.
My system recognizes my memory and Satadom which is cool. I was worrying about how to install the OS earlier since I don't have a slim dvd drive and booting from USB is a no no with Skylake boards. IPMI is accessible and I see I can mount an image which is great. Had some questions before I continue further.

IPMI web gui access is up but sensors don't recognize anything is there something wrong ?
It takes a long time to get to Bios with the whole IPMI setup ? (Haven't updated bios)
Updating bios over IPMI requires a damn license ? (Will have to find a usb drive or make a bootable CD and plug an old school dvd drive )
What is the best way to go about setting up LSI 9211 PCI-E card ?

I just want to install Freenas for now WITHOUT setting up any vdevs. I will have to read the ZFS guide again.
Once I get this all situated I will clean up wiring and stress test the system and consider ordering more drives.

TheKiwi

Explorer
You need a license key to update the BIOS from ipmi, yes. But you don't really need to update the BIOS at all.

The sensors will be blank unless the system is booted and running.

RemyZ

Contributor
You need a license key to update the BIOS from ipmi, yes. But you don't really need to update the BIOS at all.

Thanks for the quick response. How do I go about setting up the LSI 9211 card

RemyZ

Contributor
Disregard. I was able to crossflash the 9211 PCI-E Card to IT Mode, Update Bios on my motherboard and update IPMI Firmware for today.
Will install the Freenas next and go from there.

RemyZ

Contributor

Sometimes updating the bios is beneficial in regards to CPU/Memory compatibility issues. The 1.0 Bios the board came up with was terribly slow on bootup it would run thru IPMI initialization and wouldn't give me the opportunity to get to BIOS until 2-5 minutes later. The new bios is alot quicker and doesnt take as long with IPMI initialization. Granted I could have configured a static ip to bypass the IPMI callout to DHCP but oh well.

RemyZ

Contributor
Almost There
1. LSI HBA 9211 Crossflashed to IT Mode
2. Updated Bios from 1.0 to 1.0a which made the bootup alot quicker
3. Updated BMI/IPMI Firmware

Things Left to Do
Overheating Light LED on Front Panel is going off. The motherboard BIOS doesn't seem to have a temp sensor and this may be accessible via the IPMI.
Will need to double check if the fan headers I am using are for temp readings as well and isolate the lights going off.
Have to make a bootable image for Freenas but will need to play around with settings on my Test Virtual Image of Freenas
Order another Power Supply for redundancy
Order 2 more HDD's
Install Low Profile Bracket on Intel HBA
Install lower profile screens for HDD drive cage so the heads dont protrude and make it hard to install
Tidy Up

Questions
Is there something I am missing with the red blinking light on the Front Panel that is going off ?
How can I stress test memory, proc etc ?
Is there anything else that I am overlooking at this point ?
What is the latest firmware for the LSI 9211 to make Freenas happy ?

Last edited:

RemyZ

Contributor
I was able to crossflash the LSI 9211 to P20 to be compatible with FreeNas. The blinking light on the front panel of the Supermicro 825TQ case is an led indicator for overheating. When checking sensor readings thru IPMI all is normal. I am not sure if this is for the HDD's which could be cooking up or not. The fans (CPU/Case Fans ) are continuously blinking red which SM states is a overheating issue. This issue only occurs past bios but when inside of bios or before the fans speeds are normal. Any thoughts on this >

RemyZ

Contributor
Got the fan issue resolved. IPMI to change thresholds and unplugging power cable for a few minutes solved it.

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
Questions
Is there something I am missing with the red blinking light on the Front Panel that is going off ?
How can I stress test memory, proc etc ?
Is there anything else that I am overlooking at this point ?
What is the latest firmware for the LSI 9211 to make Freenas happy ?

1. No idea, will leave that to others that have a SuperMicro build.. :D
  2. jgreco's: Building, Burn-In, and Testing your FreeNAS system (link is in my sig)
  3. To not be in too much of a hurry and do the burn in and testing correctly (going to take a while too)
  4. P20

RemyZ

Contributor
  1. No idea, will leave that to others that have a SuperMicro build.. :D
  2. jgreco's: Building, Burn-In, and Testing your FreeNAS system (link is in my sig)
  3. To not be in too much of a hurry and do the burn in and testing correctly (going to take a while too)
  4. P20
Thanx will definitely read ur post 2x to sink in.I am not in a hurry and usually work on this a lil at a time to get it right. I've built 3 pcs using Asus Motherboards throughout.Going with a server motherboard for Supermicro has taught me alot.

Whats left
1. Stress Testing
2. Install Freenas
3.Cleanup (Wiring etc)
4. More practice on my Freenas vm before i start setting up vdevs, plugins etc
5. Order more drives
6. Setup Plugins, Vdevs
7.Enjoy

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.