Home/Small business build - MB and Processor Choices?

hz3vc6u7zf

Cadet
Hello all,

I’ve been reading and learning about TrueNAS for some time, with the intention of building a machine. I’ve been taking in the wealth of knowledge on this forum, and reading the recommended hardware, and other, guides.

I’ve been struggling rather with processor and mainboard section. I would like the build to be relatively power efficient and not cost a vast fortune (around £1000-£1500).

The machine is to be used in a home/small business environment (up to 5 concurrent users). Primarily this will be for file storage, but might run 1-2 Linux VMs with a few lightweight Docker Containers, and Plex (this could be offloaded to another machine if necessary), with the off chance of the very occasional single transcoded file (most will be DirectPlay).

Mainboard: I’m rather struggling with this item: I was looking at the Gigabyte C246-WU4 ATX but was unable to convince myself. I’m now looking at Supermicro boards from the Coffee Lake X11 guide. I’m mindful that the processor below is limited to 64Gb ECC RAM, I’d like a board that offers an upgrade route to a low end Xeon (I believe some share the same socket as the i3) and supports up to 128Gb ECC RAM should this be needed. Additionally, I’d also like to be able to use any iGPU in the processor for some light transcoding in Plex if required and have read mixed things around this. Used Supermicro boards seem to be in short supply to my location, and those that are available are a little pricey.

Processor: Initially Intel i3-9300, with upgrade route to Xeon (or any other better alternatives)(as above) if possible. This is chosen in preference to the i3's listed in the hardware guide partly due to local availability and pricing and partly to help ensure an upgrade route as noted above.

I would appreciate any feedback and guidance offered.

Thanks,
Take care,
hz3vc6u7zf

hz3vc6u7zf

Cadet
To partially answer my own question (I think), from further reading it would seem I need a mainboard with a C246 chipset to ensure being able to use iGPU?