Home Build, Basic File storage and Plex Server.

Reshi

Cadet
So I've got some older components and would like to re purpose them into a FreeNAS for home and family use.

-What I Have-
CPU: i5 4460
RAM: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz Non-ECC
Mobo: Asus H97i-Plus
Case: Silverstone SG13(planning on making a custom bracket to accommodate two drives)

-What I Plan on Adding-
PSU: Either a Silverstone SFX 450 80Bronze or a Corsair SF450 80Gold(an SFF power supply is needed to fit the HDD's comfortably.)
HDD's: 2x Shucked 8TB WD External HDDs mirrored. (I'm aware they may need to be adapted or modded)
Boot: Not sure here, I've seen both USB and SSD's used and haven't gotten the chance to do any research yet. Likely SSD?
NIC: TP-Link Gbit ethernet card. TG-3468 (plan on using it for aggregation)

-What I want it to do-
*Plex Media server, only a couple people will ever be using it.
*Remotely accessible NAS
-Ideally for remote access, I'd like a solution that would allow my immediate family to easily access it. Either with their own credentials(either managed by me, or by the service) or master credentials. Possibly implementing permissions so they can have their own individual folder where they can store their files and folders.
Simple easy to use GUI for the end user preferred.

-Extra Thoughts-
As for the case, I really want to use the SG13 for it's small footprint so the system can be as "out of the way" as possible.
There is a possibility that I will just not be able to make it fit, in which case (heh) I have a couple other spare mini-itx cases I could use.
Are vertically mounted drives ok?(one of the other cases would have the drives oriented that way)

otpi

Contributor
Not ideal hw, but you can always use it for testing/learning. As long as you're aware of the problems with non-ecc memory.

If you have a spare ssd/thumdrive just take it for a spin. See if it suits your needs.

You should look into nextcloud.

Last edited: