High frag rates with special vdevs?

jenksdrummer

Patron
Anyone else notice high frag rates with special VDEVS?

My smaller supermicro box config:

2 data vdev, mirrored pair vdev WD Gold 10TB
1 speciall vdev, mirrored pair 240GB Intel DC SATA SSD
1 nvme M.2 500GB L2ARC
128GB RAM

Right now, I have dedupe turned on, with about 5TB of data, and I am seeing about 55% frag for the special VDEV. Before copying off the data and back on w/ dedup enabled, I recall I noted 25%; where the special vdev was doing only metadata instead of metadata+dedupe.

Oddly, my larger SM box doesn't seem to have this issue with the same data; frag rates are way less...though slightly different topology:
6 data vdev, mirrored pairs, WD Gold 10TB
1 special vdev, mirrored pair 240GB Intel DC SATA SSD
1 nvme m.w 1TB L2ARC
256GB RAM
1 dedupe vdev, mirrored pair nvme M.2 1TB

Though there is a difference; the smaller box is doing periodic snapshots.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Anyone else notice high frag rates with special VDEVS?
I wouldn't be too worried about fragmentation on an SSD/NVME (usually the special VDEV would be one of those, no?).

jenksdrummer

Patron
I wouldn't be too worried about fragmentation on an SSD/NVME (usually the special VDEV would be one of those, no?).

FreeNAS / ZFS Fragmentation isn't how we think of with windows file fragmentation, but more towards the fragmentation of free space - which is why I find this unusually high and strange that it occurs on special vdevs. Dedupe tables get pounded, and that in combination with all the metadata getting redirected; I get that it'd compound the issue; but, this seems to happen without dedupe involved; and the constrasting system does not see this level of fragmentation.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Fragmentation isn’t important for random access media like SSD. There’s no difference in seek time between adjacent and non-adjacent blocks.

jenksdrummer

Patron
Fragmentation isn’t important for random access media like SSD. There’s no difference in seek time between adjacent and non-adjacent blocks.
True, however, fragmentation matters when it comes to writes and finding free blocks. Granted, seek times are also not as concerning with SSD, but, as contiguous free blocks become less available, that could lead to file fragmentation on writes as well, which seems like that would compound the issue and perhaps affect performance.

sretalla