High Availability Features in FreeNAS from FreeBSD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

burnbrighter

Cadet
I see there was an enhancement request to "Add support for High Availability with HAST/uCARP":
http://support.freenas.org/ticket/60

But I don't see that on the roadmap and the priority set to "minor". Is that really the case? I would think filer head redundancy would be important. I've ran in to several instances where FreeNAS has fallen over and the problem would have been prevented if redundancy were in place. How can we get this feature regarded with more importance and on the roadmap?
Thanks!

jgreco

Resident Grinch
I suspect it's been deprioritized because it's damn tricky to do in practice. HAST/CARP are nice in theory, but it's all the *state* of things that you have to be concerned with. I want it too. :smile:

survive

Behold the Wumpus
Hi guys,

You can get failover today in TrueNAS, the enterprise version of FreeNAS.

I would think that if you are needing those sort of features it's time to step up and send a little something iX Systems way.

-Will

SoftDux-Rudi

Contributor
Hi guys,

You can get failover today in TrueNAS, the enterprise version of FreeNAS.

I would think that if you are needing those sort of features it's time to step up and send a little something iX Systems way.

-Will

Will, the biggest problem with TrueNAS is, that I can't download it. Even if it's a commercial product, I'd still like to be able to download it once I paid for it.
I don't live in the the USA and to ship a TrueNAS to me is very costly. It's cheaper for me to purchase a Thecus or NetGear locally which already supports high availability than trying to import a TrueNAS device.

So iX Systems are limiting their own client base through their decision not to have an OS download available.

Will, the biggest problem with TrueNAS is, that I can't download it. Even if it's a commercial product, I'd still like to be able to download it once I paid for it.
I don't live in the the USA and to ship a TrueNAS to me is very costly. It's cheaper for me to purchase a Thecus or NetGear locally which already supports high availability than trying to import a TrueNAS device.

So iX Systems are limiting their own client base through their decision not to have an OS download available.

So IX are limiting their client base by not providing a download, but Thecus and Netgear aren't even though you have to purchase their product? I'm confused--I didn't think Thecus or Netgear provided firmware you could run on your own custom hardware. I'm also certain they don't support it if you do...

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Edit: Rewrote my post since I took this in a totally weird way.

First: the thread is quite old, so should have been locked. We know how that goes.

Second, I think Aaron hit it right on the head. They're giving away their product for free. It's open source. I've made a few small but useful change. I don't expect to get paid(but if course I won't turn down free cash either!). If you want the highest end enterprise features I think its completely reasonable to let iX charge for it. At the end of the day you can disagree with their business model all you want. The reality is you either enjoy their business model and buy their product or go with a competitor. And from what I've heard TrueNAS holds its own against the bigger guys, and does it for less money. And some of the bigger guys don't even use ZFS so they don't have the kind of data protection that you may desire.

D

dlavigne

Since the original post, it looks like that ticket has been getting some action.

Status
Not open for further replies.