Het there ninjas! ;||)))

help!

Explorer
So This is probably a common question, but Im only finding detailed info about requests to shrink already installed OS's

Simiraly im after shrinking a primary Nvme drive (only have one slot) to be the same size as my to be boot mirror that is a few GB smaller than my faster and only supported slot for its resepctive form factor,

when I partition and boot up truenas its for some reason not seeing the partition its just seeing the disk as a whole,
Is there a way around this as NVME as boot would be preferred for obvious reasons.

Also for simplicity going forward, editing my boot drive and instal, making sure I can choose what Disk I want to use without having to then remove my boot Nvme for a bigger one to match the bigger backup instance.

Thank you for any input, top one!!!

cheers!

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I'm not following what you're trying to do exactly, but rather than hacking things, just export the config database, with all secrets and keys, reinstall to the new boot medium, and upload your config.

help!

Explorer
Cheers Ninja :) My primary boot device (pci nvme) is smaller than my to be backup (sata)

so i cant clone to a smaller disk,

Would you willingly with with the correct tools cut a rope to fit a task, or buy a new rope and omit out the effort of cutting?

Being inquisitive by nature I am asking if the correct tools are available, :||)))))

help!

Explorer
and
I'm not following what you're trying to do exactly, but rather than hacking things, just export the config database, with all secrets and keys, reinstall to the new boot medium, and upload your config.
thanks for the reply tooo :):)

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I don't understand your question exactly, but my advice is to forget about the "backup". Boot device reliability isn't a meaningful concern with vaguely-decent SSDs.

just export the config database, with all secrets and keys, reinstall to the new boot medium, and upload your config.
This is honestly the best method.

The "OS" is what it is. There's nothing to "backup". Everytime you boot TrueNAS, it checks for a config file database, and then uses that config to apply your settings, imported storage pools, services, etc. :smile: (Always remember to export your config file often, anyways!)

My primary boot device (pci nvme) is smaller than my to be backup (sata)
If you want to change anything dealing with the boot drive(s), you don't need to partition anything. Just do the above, as @Ericloewe explained. No need to "clone" or "partition" a drive.

If you want a "mirror" vdev for your boot-pool, it still doesn't matter if the new drive is larger. It will create a mirror vdev based on the size of your original boot drive.

Also:

Cheers Ninja :)
Hey there ninjas! ;||)))

danb35

Hall of Famer
so i cant clone to a smaller disk,
No need to clone anything. Do what Eric said: download the config file, install to the new device (or to both devices, if you want a mirror), upload the config file. Done.