Help needed for new server

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark8par

Cadet
Hi, I'm new to the forum and need a help pointing in the right direction.

I have a Synology DS211J at the moment. I have decided to upgrade because it seems to struggle at times and run slow.

Basically i want to be able to,
1. Use as a multimedia server for movies and music - I currently access this from a mac mini and from apple tv and iPads etc
2. Create a few folders so i can save some of my work stuff out of the way
3. Access away from home (when at work) so i can drop files in and take out
4. I would like a raid configuration - I believe freenass does this through software (correct me if I'm wrong)
5. If i could run my metatrader 4 programme on it and keep it running (would need to install the software on the Nas) - This is not a must have but a nice option

Not much but thats all.

Ok so i have been looking at a HP Proliant Microserver Gen 8 Intel® Celeron® G1610T (2 core, 2.3 GHz, 2MB, 35W)
One thing i like about it is that you can upgrade the memory and processor at some point, i am not super technical but i could manage that.
I would probably upgrade the memory to 8gb and I have two seagate 3 tb red drives from my Synology drive that i will use.

Will freenas suit my needs and will the above HP be ok

Thanks M

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Let me try to address your needs:

#1, #2, and #4 are fine, and central FreeNAS functionalities. No problems there. A bit of googling on #5, if you are referring to the ForEx trading platform MT4, shows that installing it on a UNIX-type system (like FreeNAS) would be difficult, and advanced--probably not suitable for you. As for #3, you would need to have a clearer idea of exactly what you had in mind. Generally speaking, setting up your NAS for outside access generally offers a substantial attack surface for hackers, and should only be done by people that have experience, and a nuanced-view of security. That would apply to *ANY* NAS. So your #3 should be evaluated as an issue completely separate from FreeNAS's suitability for your needs.

In our experience, anyone that even has to ask about #3 is guaranteed to be unable to do it safely, and their NAS will be mining bitcoins for the Russians and Chinese by the end of the next full business day. If you had your previous NAS accessible from the internet, you were probably mining bitcoins and didn't know it.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Hi, I'm new to the forum and need a help pointing in the right direction.

I have a Synology DS211J at the moment. I have decided to upgrade because it seems to struggle at times and run slow.

Basically i want to be able to,
1. Use as a multimedia server for movies and music - I currently access this from a mac mini and from apple tv and iPads etc
2. Create a few folders so i can save some of my work stuff out of the way
3. Access away from home (when at work) so i can drop files in and take out
4. I would like a raid configuration - I believe freenass does this through software (correct me if I'm wrong)
5. If i could run my metatrader 4 programme on it and keep it running (would need to install the software on the Nas) - This is not a must have but a nice option

Not much but thats all.

Ok so i have been looking at a HP Proliant Microserver Gen 8 Intel® Celeron® G1610T (2 core, 2.3 GHz, 2MB, 35W)
One thing i like about it is that you can upgrade the memory and processor at some point, i am not super technical but i could manage that.
I would probably upgrade the memory to 8gb and I have two seagate 3 tb red drives from my Synology drive that i will use.

Will freenas suit my needs and will the above HP be ok

Thanks M
Also, you asked about the Proliant. Yes, people use that successfully with FreeNAS. The G1610T is just about the weakest-sauce CPU in existence though. Are you sure you wouldn't be better off buying the parts?

Status
Not open for further replies.