Help for a noob. Very simple uses. Could use some advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Bros,
I recently built a my first freenas box to just use as a home file server.

I absolutely LOVE it, and for the most part it is running very well, but I am left with some questions as to whether I am maximizing what I could be getting.

I used a bunch of old parts I had laying around.

The setup is

x58 motherboard.
i7 920
12 Gigs of ram
8 drives 2tb's each. Not all drives match. 6 are WD greens, and the other 2 are a Toshiba and a Seagate.
I am connected using a single Gigabyte Ethernet connection.
All devices in my home are connected through an asus ac66u router.

Most of my settings are still at default from the initial installation.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I created a single Raidz2 pool out of all 8 disks. In this pool I created folders and stored my data there. I created cifs shares to those folders.

I believe now that I made a mistake here and probably should have created a data set within this pool before transferring data and beginning to use it. How much of an issue will this be for me?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My next issue seems very odd to me. When I copy data from any pc on my network to my FreeNAS box I get speeds of anywhere from 110MB/s to 130MB/s and I am very happy with this. But when I copy files from my FreeNAS box to any PC on my network I am only getting 60-70 MB/s which seems very slow.

I am copying only to fast SSD's on my computers. If I transfer from usb 3 drives to my machines I can get upwards of 90 - 100 MB/s.

So should I be getting faster speeds than this? If so, any insight into what I need to fix?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Let me know what other information could help you out.

Last edited:

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
Your use of desktop hardware is holding you back.
See the link to Hardware Recommendations in my signature below ;)

kciaccio

Cadet
Those WD Green hard drives are not designed for raid use either..those will start to error and then probably the Seagates next. I have not had any issues with the Toshiba drives so you are good there.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
The Greens are fine, as long as their cycles are kept in check with wdidle.

Status
Not open for further replies.