Help configuring ethernet adapter advanced settings

Status
Not open for further replies.

drwoodcomb

Explorer
I just picked up a couple MELLANOX MNPA19-XTR CONNECTX-2 10Gbe SFP+ network cards to directly connect my windows 10 desktop to my FreeNAS computer.

I found a guide that suggested tweaking some of the network adapter advanced settings can increase my speeds. Changing these settings on the Windows 10 PC was simple but I cant seem to find any information on how to change these things on the FreeNAS server.

Here are the suggested settings:
Code:
Interrupt Moderation										 Disabled
Jumbo Packet													9000 or 9014
Maximum number of RSS Processors		  # of logical cores
Maximum number of RSS Queues				 # of logical cores
Receive Buffers												 Maximum Value
Send Buffers													  Maximun Value
Receive Side Scaling									   Enabled
RSS Maximum Processor Number			   # of logical cores minus 1

With the exception of Jumbo packets (mtu in Freenas) I have not been able to figure out how to change these.

I am wondering if the options given to me when I type 'ifconfig' is what I am looking for but I cant seem to find any information on what all the different variable mean (except for mtu)

Code:
[root@freenas] ~# ifconfig mlxen0
mlxen0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 9000
		options=ed07bb<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,VLAN_HWTAGGING,JUMBO_MTU,VLAN_HWCSUM,TSO4,TSO6,LRO,VLAN_HWFILTER,VLAN_HWTSO,LINKSTATE,RXCSUM_IPV6,TXCSUM_IPV6>
		ether 00:00:00:00:00:00
		inet 00.00.00.0 netmask 0xfffffe00 broadcast 00.00.00.000
		nd6 options=9<PERFORMNUD,IFDISABLED>
		media: Ethernet autoselect (10Gbase-SR <full-duplex,rxpause,txpause>)
[root@freenas] ~#

options in bold

Last edited by a moderator:

joeschmuck

Old Man
Out of curiosity what are your thoughputs and how are you testing? Do you have an issue? Also what is your system specs?

drwoodcomb

Explorer
Out of curiosity what are your thoughputs and how are you testing? Do you have an issue? Also what is your system specs?

I'm very sorry for the late reply:

My specs are as follows

Build FreeNAS-11.0-U4 (54848d13b)
Platform Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1240 V2 @ 3.40GHz
Memory 24511MB
Motherboard Supermicro X9SMC-F
Storage 10x Western Digital SE

I guess I dont have a really solid methodology for testing since I'm not the most computer savvy person but I consistenly notice that whenever I transfer files from the server and back I always get this same result

My file transfers start out insanely fast but then slow to a crawl. For large transfers they start out at around 800 MB/s and then drop down to a few MB/s

If I am only transferring one 2GB file its almost instant. If I transfer a folder with lots of file thats when I get this issue.

drwoodcomb

Explorer

Actually please allow me to elaborate a bit more. I am using iSCSI now. It seems like my sequencial speeds are really fast (1.3 GB/s) but when there are smaller files I am getting really bad speeds. I know that 4k write speeds are going to be slower but when I run crystal disk mark on the iSCSI drive I'm getting around 50 MB/s 4K speeds while in real like I'm getting 3-4 MB/s.

Status
Not open for further replies.