Help a noob. UPS - which to get for auto shutdown config

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmacman

Dabbler
Major Disclaimer: I'm a complete NAS noob. But so grateful to the folks here who put up with people like me (including basically all my posts). So as the quote goes..."Now, explain it to me like I'm a four-year-old" because when it comes to stuff like this, I am.

I have, however, searched here about UPS and auto shutdown and have a minimal grasp of the subject. I found a few threads so I sort of understand what I need to do. I believe that any UPS listed on the NUT site will allow for integration within FreeNAS, is that correct?

Ultimately I just want a lower end solution merely to enable the freeNAS to auto shutdown. I'm on 9.3 and have read thru the manual about the UPS configuration, and again, I "think" I understand.

I have a UPS but that one is not listed on the NUT reference page. Which is fine, I'd rather use it for my cable modem, router, etc for some simple and short term activities. My goal is not to run TVs, computers, etc for long periods on that UPS anyway.

But back to the FreeNAS. If all I want is a low cost way to enable the auto shutdown, is the correct approach to merely look thru the NUT page for low end models that are listed there? And to just help me "connect the dots" what I am looking for is a UPS with USB because I need to have it connected to a USB port on the FreeNAS box, is that correct? Or are there ways to do it without a USB port on the UPS. But is the USB the way to go (i.e., simplicity).

danb35

Hall of Famer
And to just help me "connect the dots" what I am looking for is a UPS with USB because I need to have it connected to a USB port on the FreeNAS box, is that correct?
That's the simplest way to go.
Or are there ways to do it without a USB port on the UPS.
Yes. In ye olde days, it was typically an RS-232 serial port (or, more commonly, some bastardized version of one); today you can also have an Ethernet connection to the UPS. My UPS has both a USB connection and an Ethernet card, and I'm using both.

To shorten your list, look for a suitably-sized APC or CyberPower model with a USB port. Without knowing anything about your hardware, I can't suggest a good size.

indy

Patron
I will be ordering a CyberPower SineWave UPS in the next days... probably the smallest one.

The UPS ticks all my boxes:
- price
- power supply compatibility (sinus wave output)
- diver compatibility (HID)
- protection from power grid fluctuations
- power efficiency
- silent during normal operation
- ethernet protection
- looks nice

gmacman

Dabbler
To shorten your list, look for a suitably-sized APC or CyberPower model with a USB port. Without knowing anything about your hardware, I can't suggest a good size.

First, thanks. Second, should have mentioned that, sorry.

My system is on the lower end

Supermicro MBD-X10SLH-F-O
Intel Xeon E3-1220V3 Haswell 3.1GHz
Seasonic 450-Watt 80 Plus Gold
(5) WD Green 3TB drives

nojohnny101

Wizard
Supermicro MBD-X10SLH-F-O
Intel Xeon E3-1220V3 Haswell 3.1GHz
Seasonic 450-Watt 80 Plus Gold
(5) WD Green 3TB drives
that's low end? :eek: then I'm in the basement! :D

What is your budget? I'm happy with my APC. Super easy to setup and has been flawless since (knock on wood).

danb35

Hall of Famer
At about $100, the Cyber Power 850 VA unit should do nicely.

Edit: I haven't used the 850VA model, but I have used the 1500VA model that appears to be otherwise identical; it worked just fine with FreeNAS.

gmacman

Dabbler
that's low end? :eek: then I'm in the basement! :D

LOL. Well, I've seen so many on here that make me say WOW. But I guess I should have said "not high end".

;)

But actually I did just set this rig up about a year ago and wanted something that would last many years and allow for some growth even though my current use is primarily as a media server.

At about $100, the Cyber Power 850 VA unit should do nicely.

Many thanks, that was about the price range I was looking for.

skyline65

Explorer
Last edited:

nojohnny101

Wizard
Many thanks, that was about the price range I was looking for.

Well if that's the case, I have two APC units (one for main, one for backup) that I picked up on sale, brand new for $93.99. I have since found out that it lasts way longer than I need (main lasts about 180 minutes while backup can last nearly double that) so I have put additional loads on both units so others are protected as well (networking equipment, etc.).

Status
Not open for further replies.