Hello!

Status
Not open for further replies.

shrödinger

Cadet
Hello!
I'm Will, new to FreeNAS, but I've been reading the boards here for a fair bit of time.
I work in the audiovisual post-production industry as a solo operator, and I'm currently planning to make my first storage server build for professional use.

Getting directly involved in talks here will be a great help for me!

joeschmuck

Old Man
Welcome to FreeNAS Forums!

My first word of advice is to do a lot of reading. Read the forum rules, they are short but when asking for help, it contains crucial data we need to help you. I do realize you don't have a system "yet", but hopefully one day you will.

My second word of advice is to build a virtual FreeNAS server. You can use VMWare Workstation Player or VirtualBox and create a small and fully functional FreeNAS system to play with. It's always best to put your hands on a system and learn it, even a small virtual system. Configuration is the most difficult thing of course and you would learn a lot.

Read the User Guide/Manual TWICE !!! So much information in there. Odds are you will figure out the answer to something just by reading that guide.

Google "freenas freebsd " and your error message, Google is your friend. I find answers for other people all the time this way. Yes, I find answers for myself too.

Well I hope you enjoy your time here at our forums, most people are super nice and willing to help. Do not assume that someone is tossing you an insult, keep in mind that we have folks across the world and English may not be a primary language, or someone may have work up on the wrong side of the bed.

Cheers!

shrödinger

Cadet
Thank you for your kind words!

I'll make sure to do the homework and read the useful info already available.
English isn't my primary language either, I'll do my best to keep it meaningful and straightforward, and not misunderstand the thoughts that people here share with me.

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.