Hello Everyone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patrick Dowd

Cadet
I am new to FreeNAS and am doing it simply for an experiment to imporve my connectivity between computers in my house. Now I took an old Compaq Presario from my basement that has two 20GB hard drives, now I heard installing on a USB thumb drive is better than on one of the hard drives. However I got it all setup and hooked up to my router, and it is running on the FreeNAS online UI. Now I need help setting it up, I have configured it to a way a video on youtube told me, however it is still not apperaing in my windows Explorer as a network device so I am getting a little frustrated trying to configure it so it runs with all my computers. If it matters I will give you the specs of the computer. Thanks!

gpsguy

More than likely, the video you watched, was one that talked about reusing an old computer with FreeNAS 0.7. That project is now known as NAS4Free and support for it can be found at nas4free.org.

FreeNAS 8/9 require newer hardware. One can buy flash drives with more space than your 20Gb hard disks.

Whatever you decide to do, you need to read the official documentation. You can't rely on a YouTube video.

Patrick Dowd

Cadet
Yea in the video the guy was using a newer computer with all new hard drives, I have an old ATA hard drive, I have two 20GB. Im only doing this for fun of trying, but am I better off going with a flash drive to boot,can you lead me in the right direction to the version of the freeNAS server that I wan to get? Thanks for helping me get started.

Status
Not open for further replies.