SOLVED HD not found in FreeNAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

bustersnm

Dabbler
I have a SuperMicro board (MBD-X10SL7-F) and 8 x3tb WD Red Hard drives are filling my LSI SAS ports. I installed my 9th HD (this one is not being detected) on a sata0 port run by Intel. This drive is a 8TB Seagate archive drive. I was going to use it for Snapshots and replications for backup of my first pool.

However, FreeNAS doesn't see the drive; or in the bios. Just curious if its is possible to use both SATA (intel) and (lsi) ports at the same time?

If it is what could i be missing?

Thanks for any help you may be able to provide.

Attachments

• bios.jpg
    bios.jpg
    223.3 KB · Views: 205
Last edited by a moderator:
You can use them at the same time, im doing it as we speak. That drive certainly is not being detected by your bios. Sorry, have to ask. Is it powered and connected to a sata port? If you physically hold the drive in your hand, is it spinning while the machine is powered? Have you tried this drive in a different machine to verify it does in fact work? Have you tried any other drive in this motherboard to see if it is detected?

Also you can disable the onboard raid capabilities/rom. FreeNAS handles that.

bustersnm

Dabbler
Thanks for your reply @John Digital . Sorry for how long it took me to get back on here, work and all.

I have attached it to the Icy Dock, and the light for power is on. I have removed it and the light will disappear. When I plug it back in the light doesn't flash like its being accessed. I have tried a different sata cable. Turned off sata raid.

I have tried it on a different machine (windows environment) and it is recognized instantly.

I have a WD 3TB spare i will test next in the drive and see if it works.
Did you have to flash your bios to allow for a bigger size maybe (8TB)?

Again thank you for your help, this will probably be my next 5 hours of troubleshooting.

Ninja Edit: I tried to hook it up outside of icy dock and found out i don't have any more SATA power cords. Ordering one now.

Last edited:

bustersnm

Dabbler
So i am not sure what i did different this boot/install of the drive. I did push harder then normal when i installed the drive in the bay. May have not been deep enough for the icy bay sata board to t connect.

Drive works and FreeNAS GUI now sees the drive.

Thanks for your help.

No problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.