HBA Used in TrueNAS R20

Brian Shell

Cadet
Hello,
I wondering if anyone can tell me exactly what SAS controller is being used in an R20?
I have remote access to a system at one of our remote sites and see the following when I do lspci:
17:00.0 Serial Attached SCSI controller: Broadcom / LSI SAS3008 PCI-Express Fusion-MPT SAS-3 (rev 02)

That seems to be very detailed, but when I do a search for it, I get references to a Broadcom SAS3008 I/O Controller and also a Supermicro HBA SAS3008.

My goal is to repurpose an old Dell server and load it up with a stack of old drives for use in a lab environment. I thought if I could get the same controller already known to be reliable (as it's used in official TrueNAS systems) I could avoid issues. So, if anyone has physical access to their R20 and able to get more information, please let me know.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
The SAS3008 is the controller IC, the typical SKU for the card using it is the [LSI / Broadcom / Avago] SAS 9300 - but there are many alternatives to choose from once you take the OEMs into account. Everyone and their mother sells HBAs based on the SAS3008, which is why you've seen several variants pop up.

I don't have an R20 or other iX hardware handy, but I do know that they use LSI SAS3 controllers, including some newer variants, in their TrueNAS systems. In a stunning coincidence, that's exactly what we recommend on the forums as well, along with the older SAS2 SAS2008 and SAS2308.

Definitely avoid the 96xx series, as those are outright not supported yet.