Having some iSCSI errors in 2012 R2 and need maintenance

Status
Not open for further replies.

HelloWill

Dabbler
Who We Are
Our HQ is in Detroit, but we also have workers all across the globe. We spend a lot of time and effort to create documentation and research, and in doing so we have amassed terabytes of data that is housed locally and in the cloud.

Architecture
We currently have 3 VMware ESXi servers running primarily Windows Server 2012 VMs. We have a freeNAS box filled with SSDs acting as our VM shared storage, and another freeNAS box for our business storage (about 50 TB of space) and a third freeNAS box that is our backup target and archive server with about 100 TB usable of space.

All ESXi servers are connected to 10 gbit Netgear ethernet switches (M7100s & M7300s) in a stack with clients connecting to client switches (Netgear M5300's in a stack). The M7300's handle our vlan routing. We have a VLAN for servers (management), Workstations, Phones, and Cameras. We currently have about 40 workstations in Detroit that are a mixture of Windows and Mac.

We have a Windows Server 2012 r2 VM that is connected to our business storage via iSCSI connection to serve our files to our users.

The Vision
We love creating new products, not spending all our time maintaining our IT infrastructure. We want a setup that is low maintenance, easy, "it just works" with reporting to alert us of problems. The more redundant, the better.

Current Challenges
One of our Mac users reported an error 43 when copying files from one folder to another on the file server. They are connecting using AFP and Acronis Access Connect (running on the server for the AFP shares)
DFS errors on the 2012 box (we are not using DFS)
iSCSI errors in event log on 2012 box
Win32k - pointer device errors in windows event log
We haven't updated freeNAS in a while

Requirements
- Audit what we have
- Where are the errors coming from?
- How can we fix them?
- What stands out?
- Is there a better way?
- What is the health of our storage?
- How do we handle updates for freeNAS?
- Reporting without needing to login.

Summary
We're looking for experts in freeNAS, iSCSI, VMware and Windows/Mac to basically get our systems running the right way so our data is secure and protected and available and to treat the environment as their own.

FreeNAS 9.3 Stable 201506292332
Xeon E5-2609 v2
131 GB RAM
SuperMicro server chassis running HBA
24 disks, (20 4.0 TB RE, 4 256 Samsung SSDs)
3x Raidz1 with 6 drives each

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Well, some of us do consulting work, but you're invited to talk it out here and get some free advice if you want. Most of this has to do with how well your systems are set up and whether or not you've got someone on staff to keep an eye on things, which is where the "free" part in free software sometimes bites companies who view "free" as meaning "don't pay anything."

I don't do much in the Mac and Windows departments, though many times the problems may be obvious. I do have familiarity with the iSCSI and VM side of things, though not necessarily every possible configuration. Since iXsystems is no longer in the business of providing support contracts for random FreeNAS installs, you're welcome to contact me if you'd be interested in making some arrangement to offload some of that.

Contact me via private message if you're interested. Inbox (top right), Start a new conversation.

HelloWill

Dabbler
instead of becoming a FreeNAS expert myself, I would rather just find those who are and have them take care of it. It looks like our current iscsi issues are a Microsoft issue, but I don't want to neglect the FreeNAS boxes.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
instead of becoming a FreeNAS expert myself, I would rather just find those who are and have them take care of it. It looks like our current iscsi issues are a Microsoft issue, but I don't want to neglect the FreeNAS boxes.

I'm fine with providing a little ongoing TLC for FreeNAS boxes, and helping you understand where things stand.

autisten

Cadet
It would be interesting if you could post the actual ISCSI errors from the event log. It would also be great if you could post the DFS errors. Are you using the Windows 2012 R2 server as domain controller? That could explain why you see DFS related logs in event viewer, even though you are not actually using DFS.

HelloWill

Dabbler
Log Name: System
Source: Ntfs
Date: 5/11/2016 8:01:19 AM
Event ID: 50
Task Category: None
Level: Warning
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: *********************
Description:
{Delayed Write Failed} Windows was unable to save all the data for the file . The data has been lost. This error may be caused by a failure of your computer hardware or network connection. Please try to save this file elsewhere.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="Ntfs" />
<EventID Qualifiers="32772">50</EventID>
<Level>3</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2016-05-11T12:01:19.734091800Z" />
<EventRecordID>285413</EventRecordID>
<Channel>System</Channel>
<Computer>*****************</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data>
</Data>
<Data>
</Data>
<Binary>04000400020030000000000032000480000000006E0200C0000000000000000000000000000000006E0200C0</Binary>
</EventData>
</Event>

Status
Not open for further replies.