Having a torrent client set up the easiest way in FreeNAS 11.2

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Hitman

Dabbler
Hello, I'm looking for the easiest, dumb-proof methods of having a torrent client plugin/jail set up in FreeNAS 11.2. So far I've tried:
- Deluge plugin - permission error, can't write anything, couldn't fix it so far.
- qBittorrent plugin - the WebUI doesn't work, I couldn't see whether it works okay or not.
- rTorrent+ruTorrent jail using a guide from 2017 - got stuck at editing configuration files, it's way too complicated for me, it was crashing at startup.
- Transmission - doesn't work properly but I don't want to use it, it's outdated

Are there any recent methods or guides I can use in order to have a torrent client set up?

Or just use a Ubuntu VM with NFS share? (but it might be inefficient on my lower end PC, a lightweight VM was kinda loading FreeNAS and I'm not sure how heavy IO will handle it)

JTBTek

Dabbler
I just completed my setup, all 100% operational and automated.

Transmission Plugin, added OpenVPN manually to the transmission jail and configured IPFW kill switch
Sonarr plugin
Radarr Plugin
Plex Media Server Plugin

Dataset permission are set as media(8675309):media(8675309) with rwx for owner and group.

All users exist in freenas and each plugin with all UID and GID's matching.

Sonarr, Radarr, and Plex users were all added to the media(8675309) group (both in freenas and in each jail).

The main issue I had was when each plugin writes data to the dataset, it was missing the write permission for the group. So I set up a cron job to chmod the dataset every 15 minutes with 777 recursively. This sonarr and radarr to pickup the files and move them to their final destination, where plex then picks them up.

I haven't seen an "easy" way but the work is well worth it in the end. I would say out of all the research I did for setting mine up, the easiest route was using the included plugins. All of which worked for me, the only reason I opted for transmission as it runs as a regular user. Deluge runs as nobody and qbittorrent runs as root. So transmission was the best solution for what I was wanting to accomplish.

One important thing I figuered out early on in my case was, setting up the jail with DHCP first, Then after the jail is created, turn off DHCP and set you static IP. This was probably from just my lack of experience, but when I tried to configure a plugin with out dhcp, it would not work properly.

Good Luck! It is possible!

Status
Not open for further replies.