Have new hardware, running SCALE, want to migrate as much data as possible from my old hardware

quist

Dabbler
I have new hardware with new disks, a fresh SCALE install.
I want to move as much as possible (VMS, APPs + data) to the new system from my current SCALE system.
I will be using very little of the old hardware going forward.
I am prepared to manually configure networking, Pools etc.
Are there any guides available?
Are some objects easier to move that others?

danb35

Hall of Famer
What did your old pool look like? What layout do you intend for your new pool? If they're similar enough, you may be able to just replace the disks in your old pool one by one to end up with a "new" pool that has all your existing data on it.

quist

Dabbler
I have no fixed layout planned for the new pool, which has been created.
The old Vdev had three data sets:
a. VMs
b. Apps
c. Shared Media Folder

danb35

Hall of Famer
Not really what I was asking--I was wondering about how many disks and in what configuration. If, e.g., your old system had 4x 3 TB disks in striped mirrors, and you were looking to do 4x (or 6x) 20 TB disks also in striped mirrors, then the answer is pretty simple:
  • Destroy the new pool
  • Connect the old disks
  • Upload your saved config file from the old installation
  • Replace the disks one by one with the new ones
The resulting system will have all the users, data, shares, apps, VMs, and everything else as the old one, all in the same places, but with new disks for the pool and more capacity than the old one.

quist

Dabbler
My old system has 2 x 4TB MIRRORED 3.5" drives
My new system has 1 x RAIDZ1 | 4 wide | 931.51 GiB M.2 SSD drives. (Will be adding 2 more 1TB SSDs soon
So I am not sure that I can do much in terms of physical connection. The new device has several USB ports on the exterior.