Have I understood how drives work

Robti

Explorer
Hi I am looking for an explanation of shared folder please, I thought shared folder was just that as the name suggests if I wanted to share any files it would be on here and drive pools would be for back up of files, is this correct , and if so single or pool and size recommendations?
Thanks

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
So, I think you've not done a great job of explaining what you do understand and what it is you want to know.

If you've understood the relationship between disks, pools and folders (directories) is unclear, so I'll start with that:

A disk or more than one disk can form a VDEV (virtual device), with which you can then construct a pool (using one or more VDEVs).

VDEVs in a pool are "striped" together and they can be of the types RAIDZ1-3, Mirror, or stripe. Stripe has no redundancy, so is usually not recommended for data you want to keep. Loss of any entire VDEV will mean loss of the pool, so plan carefully for keeping your data (and do a bunch of reading about ZFS if you want to go much further).

Once you have a pool (made of VDEVs), you can then use datasets (filesystems) or ZVOLs (block storage) to use the space provided by the pool.

Datasets can be nested (one within another) and all datasets are somewhere nested in the pool root dataset (which has the same name as the pool).

Directories (folders) can be created inside datasets and datasets themselves behave (mostly) like directories also, although they offer a point of difference on a number of settings like snapshot frequency, block size, encryption, compression and many other things.

You can share a directory using one of the offered services (SMB, NFS, AFP, WebDav).

Last edited:

Robti

Explorer
Hi thanks for your reply, in simple terms I know what pools,vdevs are but I am lost, so after installing truenas on a ssd then using 2 x 500Gb drives I create my first pool, now I am left with a 3Tb and 2Tb spare drives. My aim is to have storage to back up files for safe storage and a shared storage that my family can access for shared media through plex

sretalla