Hard drives installed, not seeing 1 of them

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Henrickson

Explorer
Hello,

I have finally updated my H200 card to IT mode and I have also updated my Dell T610 to the latest update pack per the Dell webpage as of August 2018. So, I know I am fully updated. I have installed 6 hard drives and I can only see 5 in FreeNAS. I have done a CAMCONTROL DEVLIST and the hard drive shows up there; however, it doesn't have a "da4" after it like it should. It is a NETAPP hard drive and I SOMEHOW was able to convert the other NETAPP HDD from a 520 b to a 512b like it should be, however, this one is not given a name so I can do anything with it. Suggestions? Any and all help would be appreciated. I have a Dell T610 with 16GB of ram. I have installed (6) 4TB enterprise grade SAS HDDs. With (2) Xeon E5520 2.27Ghz processors. I would be considered new to all of this. I have traditionally been a windows guy, but I'm sick of Comcast raping me, so I'm building a cord cutting system.

Thank you!

DJ Henrickson

[root@freenas ~]# camcontrol devlist
<NETAPP X477_SMEGX04TA07 NA02> at scbus0 target 0 lun 0 (pass0,da0)
<HGST H7240B520SUN4.0T M54J> at scbus0 target 1 lun 0 (pass1,da1)
<HGST H7240B520SUN4.0T M54J> at scbus0 target 2 lun 0 (pass2,da2)
<HGST H7240B520SUN4.0T M54J> at scbus0 target 3 lun 0 (pass3,da3)
<NETAPP X477_SMEGX04TA07 NA02> at scbus0 target 4 lun 0 (pass4)
<HGST H7240B520SUN4.0T M54J> at scbus0 target 5 lun 0 (pass5,da5)
<HL-DT-ST DVD-ROM DH20N A102> at scbus1 target 0 lun 0 (cd0,pass6)
<Kingston DataTraveler 3.0 PMAP> at scbus4 target 0 lun 0 (pass7,da6)
[root@freenas ~]# camcontrol identify
camcontrol: subcommand "identify" requires a valid device identifier
[root@freenas ~]# camcontrol format
camcontrol: subcommand "format" requires a valid device identifier
[root@freenas ~]# camcontrol format da4
camcontrol: cam_lookup_pass: CAMGETPASSTHRU ioctl failed
cam_lookup_pass: No such file or directory
cam_lookup_pass: either the pass driver isn't in your kernel
cam_lookup_pass: or da4 doesn't exist
[root@freenas ~]#

joeschmuck

Old Man
So you can try this:

1) Identify which drives are recognized by serial number. I like using dmesg | grep Serial and I would expect all but one drive to be listed.
2) Once you have identified the serial number of the drive not listed:
2a) Power Down
2b) Swap the SATA connection at the hard drive end with a different drive. Do not use a different cable, use one that was known to work as this will aid in troubleshooting.
2c) Power Up
2d) Check to see if your drives are all there, if yes then I suspect a lose or problematic SATA connector. If the same drive is not recognized then I suspect the drive is faulty. If the suspect drive is now listed but the previously good drive is offline then it's the SATA cable, if you have another unused SATA cable then use that and try again.

Post what you find out.

David Henrickson

Explorer
Hello and thanks for your reply!

They are actually all SAS drives and I know that the one I am having issues with is formatted to 520. I've tried to format within freenas; however, I cannot get freenas to SEE the drive so that I can format it. This worked with another drive I bought at the same time. This one is just being difficult.
I have placed it into various connections on the backplane of my T610 and I have 4 new cables that I have swapped out. Still not registering the HDD and just shows it as in the system, just FreeNAS cannot touch it. It does show up in the BIOS and as you can see FreeNAS knows it is there, just won't allocate a "da4" to it.

Let me know if you have other suggestions! Thank you!

pro lamer

Guru
Does the drive work when using other OSes? (via a LiveCD or whatever...) ?

Sent from my mobile phone

joeschmuck

Old Man
Does the drive work when using other OSes? (via a LiveCD or whatever...) ?

I was going to make the same suggestion. I'd try the Ubuntu Live DVD, just unplug all the other drives from your system first so you do not accidentlally reformat those.

David Henrickson

Explorer
Is this Ubuntu Live DVD easy to....work around? I have ZERO programming and ZERO Linux knowledge. I have seriously only been using Windows and Mac my whole life. Just recently (due to all of the drama) I have been more open to other forms of....software. I just don't want to install this DVD and hear crickets in my head over the questions it might ask on screen.

pro lamer

Guru
I just don't want to install this DVD and hear crickets in my head over the questions it might ask on screen.
One just boots from the DVD and has a running OS right away (roughly). Just make sure not to choose "Install to hard disk" option.

David Henrickson

Explorer
Do I use the Live Desktop version which is 1.8Gb or the Live Server version which is 870Mb? Can I install this ISO on a USB then and do it that way?

pro lamer

Guru
You can use a pendrive, just find some manual about preparing Live USB.

Desktop version will be fine.

joeschmuck

Old Man
I've had good luck with Win32 Disk Imager for Windoze systems but since I do tend to use the Ubuntu Live DVD periodically, I actually create the DVD and use that. I always have a SATA DVD player or USB DVD Player available should I need it. I agree that pendrive does work for many people as well but I just prefer Win32 Disk Imager, personal peference.

Status
Not open for further replies.