GRUB Error Upgrading TrueNAS-23.10.0.1 -> TrueNAS-23.10.2

Mugiwaraya

Cadet
Hello, TrueNAS Community,

I'm currently experiencing an issue while attempting to upgrade my TrueNAS system from version 23.10.0.1 to 23.10.2. During the update process, I encountered a GRUB configuration syntax error that prevented the update from completing successfully. The error message is as follows:

Code:
Error: [EFAULT] Command ['chroot', '/tmp/tmpj4lp9f_1', 'update-grub'] failed with exit code 1: Generating grub configuration file ...
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-6.1.74-production+truenas
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-6.1.74-production+truenas
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-6.1.55-production+truenas
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-6.1.55-production+truenas
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-6.1.55-production+truenas
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-6.1.55-production+truenas
error: syntax error.
error: Incorrect command.
error: syntax error.
Syntax error at line 96
Syntax errors are detected in generated GRUB config file.
Ensure that there are no errors in /etc/default/grub
and /etc/grub.d/* files or please file a bug report with
/boot/grub/grub.cfg.new file attached.

I have not made any custom modifications to the GRUB configuration or related scripts that could have led to this issue. Given the error message's advice and the critical nature of GRUB configuration for system boot, I'm cautious about making direct edits without understanding the root cause and correct approach to resolving this.

I'm reaching out to the community for guidance on how to address this syntax error. Has anyone encountered a similar issue, or does anyone have advice on safely resolving the GRUB configuration errors during the upgrade process?

Any insights or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your help and support!

Regards,

Mugiwara

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
Mugiwara,

Can you please make a bug ticket for us with a debug file attached? Syntax error does sound like a programming bug somewhere.