gpart: geom 'da0' Operation not permitted

Status
Not open for further replies.

TerranPhil

Dabbler
Hi,

I'm new to FreeNAS.

During installation of version 9.3 I make it as far as attempting to install FreeNAS to my USB device. I get the following error:

gpart: geom 'da0'
operation not permitted
dd:/dev/da0: operation not permitted

I've searched for similar errors and have not found a conclusive solution. I'm following the installation instructions at http://doc.freenas.org/9.3/freenas_install.html. I've verified the downloaded ISO is correct using hashcalc.

Any suggestions?

Hardware:
1 x Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 Tower Server System Intel Xeon E3-1225 v3 3.2GHz 4GB 70A4001LUX
4x 3TB WD Reds
1x SanDisk 32GB Extreme Cruzer
1x Crucial 16GB Kit (8GBx2) DDR3L 1600MT/s (PC3-12800) DR x8 ECC UDIMM 240-Pin Server Memory CT2KIT102472BD160B

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Are you trying to install FreeNAS to the same drive you're installing it from?
That won't work.

D'oh, ninja'd

TerranPhil

Dabbler
That sounds like you are attempting to install onto the same device you're booted from.

This is precisely the cause and makes way too much sense, thank you. Installed the ISO to CD, then booted from the disc and successfully proceeded to install FreeNAS to the USB device.

Thanks!

Supa

Patron
Don't worry. I did the same thing:

F6ITexD.png

Where do people usually install free nas too? I don't have access to a cd drive.

S

sef

First, we do recommend installing to a SATA-DOM; failing that, use a second thumb drive.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Does this work? just mount the .iso as a virtual device to enter the setup.. then install FreeNAS onto the USB Stick?

It does. That's how I installed FreeNAS on a machine yesterday. :)

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Don't worry. I did the same thing:

F6ITexD.png

Where do people usually install free nas too? I don't have access to a cd drive.

Well, you're clearly using IPMI, so the answer should be obvious.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Does a partition already exist on the USB drive? If so, destroy it in Windows or Linux. Then try again. I got a bet with a friend it will magically let you install to it then. ;)

langlandh

Cadet
Hi all,

I'm getting the same error, but I'm getting it while trying to write to a second USB thumb drive.
I have tried it with the second USB drive formatted ext3, and unformatted, but with a single msdos primary partition.

I've read the 9.3 documentation. I've also done a web search. I have done my best to make sure this particular issue hasn't been addressed here. If it has, I missed it and and am truly sorry, and hope to not get bitten too hard, just point me to the right place.

Anyway, here's what shows up on the screen just after trying the upgrade process...
gpart: geom 'da1': Operation not permitted
dd: /dev/da1: Operation not permitted
The FreeNAS installation on da1 has failed.

Edit: adding system info...
This system has worked well for about a year on earlier versions of FreeNAS. Earlier today I performed an orderly shutdown prior to doing some electrical work on the house. When bringing the system back up, it failed to boot, and the problem was diagnosed as bad thumb drive media. New USB thumb drives are adequate size (32Gb), made by a reputable manufacturer (Kingston), and were tested before repartitioning using gparted on my Debian box (or dd-ing the boot image as appropriate) to be deployed in my FreeNAS rig. Other hardware particulars...

1 Supermicro X9SCM-B MicroATX Server Motherboard MB-X9SCMB
2 8GB (16GB total) ECC Server Memory Kingston KVR16E11/8I DDR3-1600 W8GE1600KI
1 Intel Pentium G2020 2.9GHz LGA 1155 CPU, Retail G2020BOX
1 Seasonic SSR-360GP 360W 80PLUS Gold Power Supply PS-SSR360G
4 Western Digital Red WD20EFRX 2TB IntelliPower HD-W20EFRX

Last edited:
S

sef

From the installer, go into the shell (option 2), and then type
  1. sysctl kern.disks
  2. gpart list

langlandh

Cadet
Ah. The 'gpart list' command gave size info indicating that the second USB drive hadn't really been wiped the way I thought it had been.

It worked well after forcibly writing the entire device with zeros. Thank you!

langlandh

Cadet
Finished the setup and it's fully functional. Thanks again.

One question about the details of what happened, specifically the second line in the error message.
==
gpart: geom 'da1': Operation not permitted
dd: /dev/da1: Operation not permitted
The FreeNAS installation on da1 has failed.
==
Does this refer to the dd command, as in similar to what I have on my Debian box? If so, shouldn't it have worked regardless of the USB drive's contents?

S

sef

Largely similar command, yes. However, a disk device can be read-only for a variety of reasons. Not sure what was going on there, but that's why I asked.

Status
Not open for further replies.