Getting Stated with Virtualization on TueNAS SCALE

NickF

Guru
Hi Guys,

For those that want to use SCALE to host VMs, I have written a resource and posted it

Mods, not sure what the procedure for tihs, but I figured I post it here for discussion. If that's not okay then please close this thread.

Upuv

Cadet
Where was this when I built my first TrueNas Scale system a couple of months ago. Well done.

Mini rant.

The pain I had just trying to figure out the need for the bridge and then how to set it up properly. Because if you don't know you need a bridge then trying to figure out why your VM's are basically borked is painful exercise. This really does need to be handled better in the Interface.

Honestly the argument that this is not how you would do it in Production doesn't hold any water. Why? Because you would also never have your virtualisation host on the same hardware as you storage host in Production either. In the same breath having your storage on you VM host so that you can have hyper fast access to storage from a VM is very very handy. It solves a lot of problems in certain contexts. Bi-passing the physical network is a huge boost to speed. So this going out to a switch and back has a lot of performance downsides.

And thankfully your little writeup covers the issue nicely.