get vagrant working in a freenas jail?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hisma

Explorer
I would love to get a vagrant installation up and running in a freenas jail. Anyone that doesn't know about vagrant, it's a way to fire up pre-configured VMs quickly and easily. I tried, but couldn't get it working.

I was trying to set up the mediawiki vagrant. Here are the steps I took.

• make a new jail
  • install virtualbox
pkg install virtualbox-ose

• next install vagrant
pkg install vagrant

• install git
pkg install git

• get the VM
cd /usr/local
git clone --recursive https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/mediawiki/vagrant

• install bash
pkg install bash

• execute bash script
./setup.sh

• add UTF support (you'll need it)
setenv LANG "en_US.UTF-8"
setenv LC_ALL "en_US.UTF-8"

• now vagrant up
vagrant up

• the system will download a image which takes a couple minutes. Then... it fails (image not started)

It appears virtualbox simply fails to boot up the image. I have tried to get this working in both the vbox jail, and the regular vanilla jail, with no luck. I spent hours googling trying to figure out why I couldn't get my vagrant file to start, but none of the resources I found specifically detailed if it could be done in freenas. Freebsd guides didn't work.

Has anyone got it working? Has anyone even tried? Using the steps above, you should be able to get to where I got in a matter of 10-15 minutes or so.

If anyone can get it working, please tell me what you did. Thanks!!

Hisma

Explorer

those instructions are for creating a vagrant VM, not for making an environment for running vagrant VMs.

Just to clarify, I followed a guide to get vagrant up and running in centos7, and it worked no problem. I ran the centos7 VM inside of phpvirtualbox, and it was so painfully slow it unusable. I only did it as a test to see if I could get vagrant working in freenas or not.

I will play around with it a little more later this week and see if I can get it going. If I manage to figure it out I'll post it as a step-by-step guide. There is a lot of value in having vagrant working, b/c the plethora of vagrant VMs available make testing & deploying new servers easier than ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.