General Queries on VM's Under FreeNAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

wraith

Contributor
I'm contemplating installing Linux under a VM, the primary purpose being to run CrashPlan to serve as an offline backup for my extended family. This appears to be the most appropriate method of running CrashPlan based on my searches of the forum. Being a noob when it comes to virtual machines, there are a few items I’m unsure of and would appreciate feedback/advice on the following:

• I've noticed discussions about VirtualBox and iohyve/bhyve. I've done some asking of Uncle Google on comparison of the merits between each but haven't been lucky. What are the performance merits of both and what would be most suitable for my purpose? From the command provided in the manual and the output I gather that my CPU can support iohyve/bhyve;
  • Should I consider upgrading my RAM from 16Gb to 32Gb or will I be able to get away with 16Gb? I currently run OpenKM [document management], Plex and PlexConnect in their own jails. I’m currently planning on watching the usage after the VM/CrashPlan is installed and decide, at that point, whether to install more RAM;
  • Should I install the VM on my mirror or RaidZ2 vdev? I’ve been reading about block writes, copy on writes, fragmentation etc. etc. which has me, at least, contemplating these issues. I’m currently thinking that I may be forced to use vdev2 due to potential space requirements and, as such, am wondering if the VM treated as single file as far as FN is concerned? Should I be concerned about fragmentation? If so, any steps I can take to manage fragmentation?
  • Does CrashPlan backup to the Linux VM or will I need to assign it storage?
  • Should I be concerned that FN10 may introduce features that will render the VM obsolete or with compatibility issues? Should I wait for FN10?
  • I’m a novice when it comes to allowing connections into my home network. Can anyone point me in the right direction for some resources on how to properly set up / allow the connection(s) securely into FreeNAS?
Apologies if these have been answered before, searches did not come up with much.

Note that I currently, for the life of me, cannot figure out how to update my signature to reflect my current hardware. There isn’t an edit button in the information tab of my profile page. The below software/hardware is correct with the following exceptions: (i) OS: 9.10-LATEST UPDATE. Hopefully it's just a compatibility/display issue with Firefox!

Thanks in advance@

adrianwi

Guru
My thoughts below, although others are available ;-)
  • I think iohyve/bhyve is only available in 9.10 so if you're still on 9.3.1 that isn't going to be an option
  • With 26TB of storage and the jails you are already running upgrading to 32GB RAM is probably a good idea. CrashPlan in a Linux VM will need ~1GB RAM for every 1TB you plan to backup
  • Where are your jails stored at the minute? You'll need to create the VirtualBox jail in the same place, although you can save the Linux VM into a different dataset (I have a dataset for all my VM so it easy to back them up, but I also don't have 2 vdevs. Assume these vdevs are different pools?)
  • The idea of running CrashPlan is that it backups up your storage to the cloud. You'll need to point the datasets in your pool to the VM (NFS shares) so it can read them and backup them up as they change, unless you're planning to use CrashPlan in some other way
  • From what I've read, FN10 will support running Linux in a VM, although it's not going to use VirtualBox so you'll probably have to recreate it again when you upgrade. It should be possible to do this and then reconnect to CrashPlan so you don't need to back everything up again (it was moving CrashPlan from a FreeBSD to VirtualBox jail)
  • I didn't need to open up any external connections to run CrashPlan in a Linux jail, as CrashPlan sorts this out itself

wraith

Contributor
Hi @AdrianWilliamson

Appreciate your feedback and thoughts! :)

• I think iohyve/bhyve is only available in 9.10 so if you're still on 9.3.1 that isn't going to be an option
I'm actually running the latest version of 9.10. For some reason I can't locate where to update my signature to reflect this. Given this, what advantages, if any, does iohyve/bhyve have over VirtualBox?

• With 26TB of storage and the jails you are already running upgrading to 32GB RAM is probably a good idea. CrashPlan in a Linux VM will need ~1GB RAM for every 1TB you plan to backup
I'm assuming you mean 17Tb [roughly] :p

• Where are your jails stored at the minute? You'll need to create the VirtualBox jail in the same place, although you can save the Linux VM into a different dataset (I have a dataset for all my VM so it easy to back them up, but I also don't have 2 vdevs. Assume these vdevs are different pools?)
At the moment they're stored on vdev2, this being the 8 x 3.0Tb in RaidZ2. Yes, the vdev's are different pools. vdev1 is a mirror of 2 x 1Tb drives to maintain performance as it looks after all our documents etc. where quick open's and save's are beneficial between my wife and I. I also understand that the small file sizes classify as "block writes" for which mirror's are better suited.

• The idea of running CrashPlan is that it backups up your storage to the cloud. You'll need to point the datasets in your pool to the VM (NFS shares) so it can read them and backup them up as they change, unless you're planning to use CrashPlan in some other way
True. IN this instance, however, I want to act as the cloud for my extended family [parents, parent's in law etc.]. This will save them a little bit of cash [they're retirees] as well as the good will of being an awesome son and son-in-law :p

• From what I've read, FN10 will support running Linux in a VM, although it's not going to use VirtualBox so you'll probably have to recreate it again when you upgrade. It should be possible to do this and then reconnect to CrashPlan so you don't need to back everything up again (it was moving CrashPlan from a FreeBSD to VirtualBox jail)
If I interpret this correctly, I might as well consider iohyve/bhyve from purely a near-future-proof perspective.

• I didn't need to open up any external connections to run CrashPlan in a Linux jail, as CrashPlan sorts this out itself
Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeet! :)

adrianwi

Guru
I suspect your use-case is completely different to mine, so some/all of my comments might or might not apply :D. I'd worked out 26TB as (8x3)+(2x1) :p

I use CrashPlan as an external backup for about 3TB of data on my FreeNAS box. Sounds like you are looking for other people to backup their data to your FreeNAS? I'm also still on 9.3.1 so VirtualBox is the only option. I suspect iohyve/bhyve is probably the better option on 9.10 with a view to migrating to 10.

Depending on what your family need to backup, CrashPlan might not be the best solution. Have you thought about an ownCloud server?

ps: you can update you signature from the link in the top-right hand corner - click your username and select signature from the drop-down!

Last edited:

wraith

Contributor
Finally got some time to respond :)

I found a thread [here] that appears to confirms that Jails will remain in FN10 :) I might, still, try iohyve to experiment with what it can do.

I suspect your use-case is completely different to mine, so some/all of my comments might or might not apply :D. I'd worked out 26TB as (8x3)+(2x1) :p
Aaaaaaaaaah... you were referring to the gross amount of space whilst I was referring to the net useable. Both are right :)

@gpsguy - thanks. Signature updated :)

Status
Not open for further replies.