Full Restore from Replicated Snapshots

Status
Not open for further replies.

merlin

Cadet
Hello fellow FreeNAS-Users,

last week i set up my FreeNAS-Server. My backup-idea was to work on an internal 3TB drive "alexandria", taking hourly snapshots and replicate them to a second identical internal 3TB drive "backup". A third external drive is used to prevent dataloss due to something happening with my box. Alexandria consists of 4 datasets and 2 jails with different sharing configurations (cifs, ssh, tcp with the jails).

Today i tried to simulate a crash of my working volume. Therefore i removed alexandria after a system shutdown and replaced it with an so far unused 3TB drive. The documentation (http://doc.freenas.org/index.php/Periodic_Snapshot_Tasks) indicated "if there is a catastrophic loss, an off-site snapshot can restore the system up to the last snapshot interval". So i thought it would be possible to use some simple options in the GUI to set up a new "alexandria"-drive with all sharing capabilities of the old with the help of my "backup"-drive.

After some hours of working and searching on the subject, i didn't found such a quick solution and wanted to ask here in the community, how you would solve the problem?
My FreeBSD-experience is one week old and my Linux-capabilities are not too bold... so i looked for a way to solve my problem with the FreeNAS-GUI. I'm sorry, if this topic is treated in an other post or the documentation and i wasn't able to find it. In this case i would be very grateful for the links to these topics.

I thank you for your time,
merlin

ser_rhaegar

Patron
Google ZFS send and receive for the commands to send your snapshots from the backup drives to your fresh pool.

hunter

Explorer
Right, it suffices to send the snapshot to your fresh pool. Because once you send the snapshot using zfs send, the underlying pool for the snapshot, will be restored to the same destination pool where you chose to copy the snapshot to. That's just how the snapshots ultimately seem to work.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.