Full drive, cant delete Snapshots / Zvols

platinumjsi

Dabbler
So I have cocked up a little here and these drives are now 100% full, when I try to delete a Zvol I get the error "[EFAULT] Failed to delete dataset: internal error: cannot destroy snapshots: Channel number out of range"

Does anyone know how I can delete snapshots or a Zvol to clear space on the drives?
This only hosts a couple of VM's and my Docker apps so if nuking it is easier can you let me know how to do that?

Thanks

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
There is a chance you are completely out of luck. Due to the copy on write structure of ZFS it is possible to maneuver oneself into a position where you cannot delete anything anymore.

Can you try rm'ing individual - preferrably large - files?

platinumjsi

Dabbler
Yea its not working, ill pull the drives and nuke them on another machine, probably quicker

asw2012

Contributor
Seems I've run myself into the same problem. I've filled up my VM Pool. But before nuking and losing the pool and VM's - I've tried to FTP into my system and at least find the Zvol's to try to copy them over, then re-import them after I've cleared the pool.... I can't seem to find the Zvols / Virtual disks through the FTP connection... where can I find these?

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Seems I've run myself into the same problem. I've filled up my VM Pool. But before nuking and losing the pool and VM's - I've tried to FTP into my system and at least find the Zvol's to try to copy them over, then re-import them after I've cleared the pool.... I can't seem to find the Zvols / Virtual disks through the FTP connection... where can I find these?
Zvols live in /dev/zvol. Good luck.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
You cannot copy them with FTP. You need to login via SSH and use zfs send to generate a strem that you write to another system.

E.g. if you have a system with a command line ssh, Mac, Linux, Windows with WSL, ...

ssh root@<your truenas> "zfs send <pool>/<path of zvol>@<existing snapshot>" > <some filename>

Etorix

Wizard
If the offending pool consists of mirrors, it may be possible to add a further vdev to get extra free space, clear some space and then remove the additional vdev.

asw2012

Contributor
If the offending pool consists of mirrors, it may be possible to add a further vdev to get extra free space, clear some space and then remove the additional vdev.
This did the trick. Was able to add another mirrored set of disks to the pool, then deleted the VM disks. Thanks.