FTP with Cameras wont work

Status
Not open for further replies.

antzoulis

Cadet
Hi,
I have freenas 8.3.1 and I enabled the FTP service. I can FTP to my freenas using my windows laptop with filezilla and able to dump files on the FTP server. But when pointing my home IP cameras to record to this FTP server it wont work. I installed VSFTPD on an Ubuntu PC on my network and the cameras record to that FTP perfectly.

I tried also to install Freenas 9.1.1 on a laptop to try that FTP out but still no luck. Anyone know what could be wrong with the built in FTP or help me troubleshoot this ? Or even how I could go about installing VSFTPD in a Jail or something ? I really want to keep Freenas for my home NAS with FTP working instead of moving to an UBUNTU Server.

D

dlavigne

But when pointing my home IP cameras to record to this FTP server it wont work.

Define "it won't work". What errors are you seeing?

antzoulis

Cadet
When the IP camera points to the FREENAS FTP server address they freak out and reboot etc. But as a test i pointed the IP Cameras to FTP record to the ubuntu vsftpd server and that works fine, the cameras record without any problems. I tried this morning to point it to a different FTP server using Filezilla server on my windows laptop and that works too. The crazy thing is using filezilla ftp client from my laptop connects to the FREENAS FTP server just fine and can copy files to it and from it. Anyway you could help me read log files from the FTP server to see if there is a way to fix the native FTP server software on the freenas ? or would if be easier for a Jail with vsftpd ?

antzoulis

Cadet
sorry one more thing, the IP Cameras dont have a log file or error screen to see read if the cameras are not able to write to a FTP Server.

antzoulis

Cadet
FTP but what version I can't tell. The camera writes to a FTP destination of which I put the IP of the freenas and username and password.

antzoulis

Cadet
uvyxao81z
Here is a screenshot of the IP Camera configuration

D

dlavigne

Is the username/password created on the FreeNAS system? Does that username have a home directory that matches the path being shared by FTP?

antzoulis

Cadet
Yes and yes. I tested it with filezilla from my windows machine to see if it connects and credentials are correct and so is the home directory.

antzoulis

Cadet
So, anyone can explain to me how I can install vsftpd in a jail on freenas 9.1.1, I think this is my only solution to my problem

D

dlavigne

There is a FreeBSD package for it. The "Installing non-PBI Software" of the FreeNAS Guide describes how to install a FreeBSD package into a jail.

Status
Not open for further replies.