Friendly reminder: You are a wonderful person!

And wonderful people deserve to know about the wonderful, lesser-known tricks of ZFS. :smile:

(My clickbait game is strong. No one does it better than me. Your criticisms of my superficial methods only make me stronger.)

Organize and label your snapshots with helpful notes!

This is possible thanks to a useful, yet often overlooked feature called "User Properties". As long as you follow the base:name format, you can tag any snapshot with a custom property. I use this to mark important milestones or notes on particular snapshots like so:
Code:
zfs set custom:note="Write your note here" mypool/dataset@snapshot

Some real-world examples would be to "mark" certain milestones or reminders.

Milestones can be used to "bookend" a sequential batch of snapshots that you don't want to destroy today, but have confirmed that they are low priority and nothing depends on them. These can be the "first to go" in situations where you need to quickly reclaim space on your pool.

You could do something like this:
Code:
zfs set custom:note="Safe to destroy from here until 2022-06-01 to save space" tank/downloads@manual_2020-01-31
zfs set custom:note="Safe to destroy from 2020-01-31 until here to save space" tank/downloads@manual_2022-06-01

If you need to reclaim a bunch of space on your pool, you'll know that you can issue a batch deletion between the aforementioned snapshots above.

For a quick review of all snapshots with custom notes, you can use zfs get to list them:
Code:
zfs get -t snap -r -s local custom:note

You can also narrow it down to only a specific pool or dataset, without searching recursively:
Code:
zfs get -t snap -s local custom:note tank/downloads

You will see output that appears like this:
Code:
tank/downloads@manual_2020-01-31       custom:note  Safe to destroy from here until 2022-06-01 to save space     local
tank/downloads@manual_2022-06-01       custom:note  Safe to destroy from 2020-01-31 until here to save space     local

The other real-world example could be used to mark certain reminders, such as searching through snapshots for a deleted file that you believe existed in January 2021. Maybe you don't remember the filename, but have an idea of where to look.

So you do this:
Code:
zfs set custom:note="DID NOT CHECK HERE YET" tank/archives@auto_2021-01-01
zfs set custom:note="DID NOT CHECK HERE YET" tank/archives@auto_2021-01-07
zfs set custom:note="DID NOT CHECK HERE YET" tank/archives@auto_2021-01-14
zfs set custom:note="DID NOT CHECK HERE YET" tank/archives@auto_2021-01-21
zfs set custom:note="DID NOT CHECK HERE YET" tank/archives@auto_2021-01-28

Then as you confidently finish thoroughly checking each one, you can update the note:
Code:
zfs set custom:note="Nothing found" tank/archives@auto_2021-01-01
zfs set custom:note="Nothing found" tank/archives@auto_2021-01-07

And thus, your "report" will look something like this:
Code:
zfs get -t snap -s local custom:note tank/archives

tank/archives@auto_2021-01-01       custom:note  Nothing found              local
tank/archives@auto_2021-01-07       custom:note  Nothing found              local
tank/archives@auto_2021-01-14       custom:note  DID NOT CHECK HERE YET     local
tank/archives@auto_2021-01-21       custom:note  DID NOT CHECK HERE YET     local
tank/archives@auto_2021-01-28       custom:note  DID NOT CHECK HERE YET     local

Final thoughts and caveats.

Keep in mind that these "User Properties" (i.e, "custom notes") are always visible. Not even ZFS encryption will hide them. Try to avoid using sensitive or identifiable words. (Perhaps use "coded" language or abbreviations that only you will understand?)

To "remove" a note outright, you need to "inherit" the "User Property". This will essentially "inherit" the dataset's property (which doesn't exist), and thus the snapshot will no longer have this property either.
Code:
zfs inherit custom:note tank/archives@auto_2021-01-01

For the reason above, it's best practice to avoid setting custom notes on datasets. Only use them for snapshots. Otherwise, every snapshot by default will "inherit" the custom note. And if you try to "remove" a note from a snapshot, it will simply re-inherit the dataset's note.

Sadly, you cannot add "User Properties" (and hence "notes") to bookmarks. I'm not really sure why. Perhaps it's a worthwhile feature request for the OpenZFS GitHub? :wink:

Last edited:

joeschmuck

Old Man
Looking at the thread title, I thought you opened a post about me :tongue:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Looking at the thread title, I thought it was a private message in my notifications. You have disappointed me to no end.

Looking at the thread title, I thought you opened a post about me :tongue:
It's a message for everyone! :smile:

(Okay, it was actually @jgreco's idea to write this title. After having a private discussion with him, it became obvious how shy he is. He passionately wanted to spread the message of holiday cheer before the year's end, but told me that he has a reputation to keep. So I agreed to write it on his behalf.)