FreeNas with EMC cx300 SAN

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmfisher321

Cadet
I've just built a freeNAS server on a HP DL 360 G4p, and would like it basically just to serve cifs and AFP shares. I have an old EMC cx300 san that's not in production anymore that I'd like to use for storage to the freeNas box, but it's a fiber channel san. My HBAs that I have are Emulex LP10000E. So, I threw it together seeing what would happen (installing it to a USB drive on the server), and of course it doesn't see the HBA. So, after reading some posts, it sounds like emulex HBAs aren't supported? I see posts where people say to check the HCL for FreeBSD, which I did and from what I could tell it didn't look like Emulex was on there.

But, I was wondering IF anyone did happen to get a setup like this to work by any chance. If not, would I have any better luck with openfiler? From the little bit I've read about that so far, it seems that FreeNas might be a little better solution and easier to use, so that's why I'd like to keep trying with that.

Thanks for any comments!

louisk

Patron
I'd pick up an old QLogic HBA since I'm betting your cx300 won't be faster than 4G, the cards shouldn't be super expensive.

harmscon

Cadet
Hello, I'm looking at getting a QLogic QLA2340, it is included in the FreeBSD 8.2 HCL (Qlogic 234X), but then the forum thread "FAQ - What hardware should I Buy-Get-Use, or is recommended?" states that some FreeBSD drivers have been omitted from FreeNAS. Can you confirm that the isp(4) driver is included in FreeNAS 8.0.3?

louisk

Patron
This is a list of the modules in 8.0.3RELEASE:
./ geom_mirror.ko.gz* geom_zero.ko*
../ geom_multipath.ko* green_saver.ko*
blank_saver.ko* geom_nop.ko* gsched_rr.ko*
cxgb_t3fw.ko* geom_part_apm.ko* if_cxgb.ko*
daemon_saver.ko* geom_part_bsd.ko* ipmi.ko*
dragon_saver.ko* geom_part_ebr.ko* ipmi_linux.ko*
ext2fs.ko* geom_part_gpt.ko* iw_cxgb.ko*
fade_saver.ko* geom_part_mbr.ko* kernel.gz*
fire_saver.ko* geom_part_pc98.ko* libiconv.ko*