FreeNAS, TimeMachine, and Mountain Lion

Status
Not open for further replies.

nas7

Cadet
Hello Sully.

Were you able to successfully perform several Time Machine backups from 10.8.1 without having to reboot again your FreeNAS server?

sully

Explorer
Hi nas7,

Yes, both my wife (Lion 10.7.6) and I (ML 10.8.2 beta) are backing up successfully daily, hourly, etc. I haven't had to reboot or restart the AFP services since the BIOS update and CMOS battery replacement.

Screen Shot 2012-09-01 at 11.57.44 AM.jpg

nas7

Cadet
Update:

I found this after looking for information on the FreeNAS version of netatalk:
http://www.trollop.org/2012/07/12/os-x-10-8-mountain-lion-time-machine-netatalk/

So I followed the posted update #2 hint: forcing the Time Machine destination manually using:
Code:
sudo tmutil setdestination afp://user:password@my-host-name/my-tm-volume-name

and it didn't work. If you happen to have the same issue as me, you will realize that if you go into the Time Machine Preference (after experimenting the error) the Time Machine volume won't appear in the volume selection list. So forcing the destination could be a workaround. So I did the following and now it is working without issues.

Code:
sudo tmutil setdestination afp://user:password@MY-SERVER-IP-ADDRESS/my-tm-volume-name

So it seems that the name resolution fails in some way for TM in our installations, but it only affects the TM (very weird). I haven't had time to check why this happens but I want to share the workaround to check if it works for others.

Please let me know your results.

Regards,

nas7

hartzell

Cadet
Upgrading to 10.8.2 seems to have fixed my time machine backups.

I'm having a very similar issues, to what's being reported above, with Time Machine and AFP.

My MBP running 10.8.1 (Mountain Lion) can see the newly created AFP share. Permissions are in check and everything seems to be gravy. I start the TM backup and it backup progress starts. Ultimately, the backup will stop as AFP share, I believe disappears. (e.g. when the TM backup starts, a TM Disk will appear on the Desktop. When the TM Backup stops, the Disk disappears).

[...]

I was having similar problems, the disconnections seemed to correlate with the laptop going to sleep.

Upgrading to 10.8.2 seems to have fixed things.

g.

Status
Not open for further replies.